~the Best Glimmer~

GirlsBFF

Hi there. I'm getting engaged, and strated shopping for princess cut diamonds... After shopping for a long time, we finally decided to go for quality and not size... This is why : I was at work one day and saw this amazingly glimmery, shiny diamond.. Almost blinding... and it was a little under a carat. It looked so big and so beautiful.... but my questions is... how do I get this blinding glimmer?.... We are going for a 1 carat princess cut, but cannot afford a Flawless D color.. Which combination of the clarity and color will get me this? i found a 1 carat D color VS2... and I found a 1.09 color E VS2...... there is a slight different in price, but I dont' know which is more important when looking for glimmer/shine...the clarity or the color?.... I have been paying more attention to the color.. as long as the clarity is above VS2... should I be shifting my attention towards the clarity? Help me out

Hi there. I'm getting engaged, and strated shopping for princess cut diamonds... After shopping for a long time, we finally decided to go for quality and not size... This is why : I was at work one day and saw this amazingly glimmery, shiny diamond.. Almost blinding... and it was a little under a carat. It looked so big and so beautiful.... but my questions is... how do I get this blinding glimmer?.... We are going for a 1 carat princess cut, but cannot afford a Flawless D color.. Which combination of the clarity and color will get me this? i found a 1 carat D color VS2... and I found a 1.09 color E VS2...... there is a slight different in price, but I dont' know which is more important when looking for glimmer/shine...the clarity or the color?.... I have been paying more attention to the color.. as long as the clarity is above VS2... should I be shifting my attention towards the clarity? Help me out

The most important thing for fire in a diamond is the cut, you can have a D IF next to a G VS2 stone and the G VS2 will sparkle much better then the D IF, the reason is simple the G VS2 stone was cut very well while the D IF not. So the most important of all 4c's is the cut, that's the first thing you need to look at. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks... Now... Is there a scale that I can refer to, so that when I ask my jeweler i will know wethere it is a good cut or not?.....

The AGS grades princess cuts (other major labs do not) and the diamonds receiving their Ideal cut grade have been reliable top performers.

Edited to add: Round brilliants have been graded for cut by the AGS since 1996 and GIA since 2006. It's much easier to grade cut in a round, though, since there is not much variation to the fundamental shape. A certain degree of predictive performance can be established based on basic measurements. Fancy shapes like the princess have more variable faceting, so are more complex. The new AGS grading system uses a diamond-specific ray-tracing engine to establish numeric values for its performance qualities. The diamond earns a cut grade based on how high those values are. It's very new and very reputable - but relatively few AGS 'Ideal' princesses are available commercially, because it's more difficult for diamond cutters to produce them with the precision required to earn the top cut grade.

Edited by JohnQuixote

AGS graded "Ideal" Princess cuts are in general better Cut quality diamonds compared to the general population of princess cuts on the market today.

But, keep in mind that even within the AGS specs there is a range and quality difference in the face up light performance of individual stones, some better than others and therefore each diamond needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.