Suit Won Over Sale Of Phony Diamonds

diamondsonfifth.com

I just read this article on a different blog, I thought it will be interesting to hear what our experts have to say about this case.]

(May 12, 2007) — A former Webster couple who sued a store after learning their jewelry contained cubic zirconias instead of diamonds was awarded the cost of the purchases plus $30,000 in damages.

The couple won the award after their case was heard by a jury before state Supreme Court Justice William Polito last week.

John and Carol Blackert, who now live in Tequesta, Fla., purchased a tennis bracelet and earrings for more than $27,000 in 2005 from The Jewelry Exchange, which was in Ridge-Hudson Plaza in Irondequoit.

Carol Blackert learned the items didn't contain diamonds when she was told by another jeweler that her bracelet was only worth about $750.

"She was very proud of this diamond tennis bracelet and she was showing it to a friend who wanted one like it," said her lawyer, Charles A. Hall. "When she found out, she practically fainted."

John Encao, who owned the store with his wife, Susan, said this week he couldn't comment on the case, but said that as store owner he was responsible for what happened at the store. Hall said Encao set the diamonds in Blackert's jewelry but Encao claimed in court he didn't know anything about the cubic zirconias.

Hearing about this kind of thing via mail-order scam or in a spurious marketplace is not a surprise. I do find it surprising that someone would risk an established stateside business with such fraud. Like diamond-swapping, it's one of those 'fundamental' stereotypes reputable sellers work hard to overcome.

The store owner claimed responsibility. I wonder if he was the one who sourced and set the CZs.

Edited by JohnQuixote

• 1 year later...

I just read this article on a different blog, I thought it will be interesting to hear what our experts have to say about this case.]

(May 12, 2007) — A former Webster couple who sued a store after learning their jewelry contained cubic zirconias instead of diamonds was awarded the cost of the purchases plus $30,000 in damages.

The couple won the award after their case was heard by a jury before state Supreme Court Justice William Polito last week.

John and Carol Blackert, who now live in Tequesta, Fla., purchased a tennis bracelet and earrings for more than $27,000 in 2005 from The Jewelry Exchange, which was in Ridge-Hudson Plaza in Irondequoit.

Carol Blackert learned the items didn't contain diamonds when she was told by another jeweler that her bracelet was only worth about $750.

"She was very proud of this diamond tennis bracelet and she was showing it to a friend who wanted one like it," said her lawyer, Charles A. Hall. "When she found out, she practically fainted."

John Encao, who owned the store with his wife, Susan, said this week he couldn't comment on the case, but said that as store owner he was responsible for what happened at the store. Hall said Encao set the diamonds in Blackert's jewelry but Encao claimed in court he didn't know anything about the cubic zirconias.