Laser Drilling

topaz

Dear Professionals,

I am so happy that this forum exists...i really am!

Let me be honest...I want a big rock! So, I have been trying to educate myself on laser enhanced diamonds, and I think I understand it on a basic level. However, I do not fully understand the financial benefits. I could not find any real numbers to compare and contrast anywhere. What i mean is: How much more bang will i get for my buck? I understand that an unenhanced diamond price range is impossible to give without details of the 4 c's? So, does the same hold for laser enhanced diamonds? Could anyone give me a range on how much a 1-4 carot laser enhanced diamond costs?

I hope this all makes sense. I am not good at "talking" diamond.

Thank you in advance for your time and insight!

best,

Topaz

Laser drilling seems to affect the price about the same as 1 clarity grade. That is to say, a SI1 lasered stone will cost about the same as a similar weight/color/cut SI2 stone.

'Clarity ehnancement' normally referrs to a process of filling inclusions with a foreign material that makes them harder to spot. Sometimes the results are miraculous and sometimes they are barely noticable. Shopping filled stones against one another is quite a bit more difficult because the amount and location of the filling is such a big deal. Some will be 10% discounted and some will be a quarter or less of the price of a sort of similar looking un-enhanced stone. There's no easy conversion chart.

Neil

Thank you very much Neil. That was very helpful information. I think I'll buy a stone that has not been enhanced.

Laser drilling seems to affect the price about the same as 1 clarity grade. That is to say, a SI1 lasered stone will cost about the same as a similar weight/color/cut SI2 stone.

'Clarity ehnancement' normally referrs to a process of filling inclusions with a foreign material that makes them harder to spot. Sometimes the results are miraculous and sometimes they are barely noticable. Shopping filled stones against one another is quite a bit more difficult because the amount and location of the filling is such a big deal. Some will be 10% discounted and some will be a quarter or less of the price of a sort of similar looking un-enhanced stone. There's no easy conversion chart.

Neil

I believe that it is important to differentiate between laser drilling and clarity enhancement.

Laser drilling does not add or "fill" the diamond, it merely 'whitens' black inclusions and makes them less noticeable to the eye and renders the stone face-up eye clean. The process is akin to a diamond cutter adding another facet to the stone and does not affect the structural integrity of the diamond.

Clarity Enhancement does 'fill' or add material to the diamond.

I have no problem recommending laser drilled diamonds for purchase but would stay away from clarity enhanced diamonds.

I have no problem recommending laser drilled diamonds for purchase but would stay away from clarity enhanced diamonds.

I agree with this. Laser drilling requires disclosure under the FTC rules, which gives it a bit of a stigma but it is a very different sort of product from what is normally sold as 'clarity enhanced'.

Neil

In the spirit of what the others have offered; the GIA and AGS will accept laser drilled diamonds for grading, but will not accept diamonds with 'fracture filling.' This is because laser drilling is considered permanent whereas fillings can fall out.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Fact is that many years ago laser drilling was an important part of the diamond manufacturers arsenal in that it enabled him to improve face up "eye-clean" in diamonds with problematic I-1 to I-3 inclusions that otherwise would have been impossible to sell.

Thus, by improving face up 'clarity', consumers on tight budgets were able to purchase very pleasing eye clean diamonds that otherwise would have been out of their reach.

The only reason the FTC jumped in several years ago and mandated full disclosure of laser drilling treatment was due to a B&M Jewler not admitting that a diamond he had sold to a customer was laser drilled after the Customer returned to the Jeweler with the Appraisal of said diamond indicating it had been drilled. This Jewelers inexplicable stubborness and foolishness led to a very nasty court case and subsequent intervention by the FTC with the concomitant fall-out of laser drilling getting an unfair bad name.

• 1 month later...

Barry-

Thanks for clearing up the FTC change-of-mind. I've been drilling goods regulary on the wholesale level since 1979, and although my customers (47th St.) are well aware of which goods are drilled, I'm always curious about what the issues on further on down the line.

michael