White Gold: 14k Vs. 18k

SirLouie

I'm familiar with the differences between white gold and platinum, but could somebody please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of 14k gold vs. 18k gold? I tried searching the forums for this information, but it wouldn't accept my search terms because they were less than four characters.

I recently purchased a mounting from Jared that was only available in 14k white gold. I wanted it in 18k white gold. I have thought about taking the ring to Goldstock and having them mock up the ring in wax, then if I like it, they'll cast it for me in 18k and I'll return the 14k to Jared (within their 30-day return policy). Does anybody see a problem with this?

Anyway, now I'm just wondering why the heck I wanted 18k gold in the first place, and thought I'd get some facts to make my final decision.

Thank you!

I'm familiar with the differences between white gold and platinum, but could somebody please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of 14k gold vs. 18k gold? I tried searching the forums for this information, but it wouldn't accept my search terms because they were less than four characters.

I recently purchased a mounting from Jared that was only available in 14k white gold. I wanted it in 18k white gold. I have thought about taking the ring to Goldstock and having them mock up the ring in wax, then if I like it, they'll cast it for me in 18k and I'll return the 14k to Jared (within their 30-day return policy). Does anybody see a problem with this?

Anyway, now I'm just wondering why the heck I wanted 18k gold in the first place, and thought I'd get some facts to make my final decision.

Thank you!

What is the difference between 14 karat and 18 karat gold?

The amount of pure gold that is actually in the item. Pure gold is 24 karat. It is soft so it is often mixed with other metals to make it harder. In addition, varying the added metals (alloys) are used to change the color of the gold from it rich pure lemon yellow color. 14 karat gold contains 14/24 (.583) percent pure gold and 10/24 (.417) percent of other metals. 18 karat contains 18/24 (.75) percent pure gold and 6/24 (.25) percent of other metals. 18 karat gold is richer in color, but is softer than 14 karat gold.

So i don't think you need to change.