2 Diamonds

dragonfire

So These are two diamonds im interested in both are excellent cut. I seen pictures of Diamond 2 yet to see them of diamond 1. Diamond 1 is about 4 hours away in a car so i could possible go see it before i make my mind up.

DIAMOND 1

Round Brilliant $3097.14

Measurements: 6.07 - 6.11 x 3.72 mm

Carat Weight: 0.83

Color Grade: G

Clarity Grade: SI1

Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 61.1 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 34.5°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

Pavilion Depth: 43 %

Star length: 55 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud, Crystal

Diamond 2: Price $3325

GIA Certs

Carat: 0.8

Cut: Excellent

Clarity: SI1

Color: F

Measurements: 5.97 - 6.02 x 3.67

Depth: 61.2

Table: 57%

Culet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Excellent

Clarity Characteristics: Cloud, Feather

Flouresence: None

Girdle: thin to meduim

Crown Angle: 35.3

Crown Height: 15.1%

Pavil Angle: 41

Pavil Depth: 43%

Comments on GIA Report: Pinpoints are not shown

Edited by dragonfire

• 2 weeks later...

The feather is a very common inclusion. It can be perfectly safe - or - it may pose a problem.

The size and position must be considered: The feather in A is tiny, completely enclosed and not in a vulnerable area. No problem. Feathers in B are larger and occur near the girdle. They require physical examination by an expert to determine if they are surface-reaching or open and what risk they pose.

Since a reputable expert has sold #2 to Dragonfire I anticipate it was examined and there is no problem.

post-111809-1179015053_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnQuixote

Diamondlover,

Feathers are extremely common and they are not all a breakage risk. In fact, most aren’t. By definition an inclusion that materially affects the durability of the stone renders it, at best, I-1 in clarity. Durability is definitely a valid thing to be concerned about in shopping for diamonds, especially with princess cuts, but you’re basically expressing a concern that the stone may be misgraded by the lab and that the lab report is insufficient information to make a sensible decision. On this we agree, but missing a serious durability problem is not usually the issue, at least not with stones graded by the major labs (AGS & GIA). Presence of a feather should not, by itself, be a deal killer.

Neil

since feather may have chances to pose a problem so it's better to avoid. save the trouble. ;)

I apologize DL. I presumed you weren't aware that feathers can be safe but it sounds like you already know. It's your right to take that position. Just as some people insist on only D color or VVS clarity; you have to choose what makes you comfortable.

Edited by JohnQuixote

I apologize DL. I presumed you weren't aware that feathers can be safe but it sounds like you already know. It's your right to take that position. Just as some people insist on only D color or VVS clarity; you have to choose what makes you comfortable.

ya, i'm not comfortable with feather and natural dent. cloud, crystal and pinpoint are still alright. ;)

ya, i'm not comfortable with feather and natural dent. cloud, crystal and pinpoint are still alright. ;)

Ok... Just remember though, some feathers are simply a crystal that expanded slightly during millions of years of formation, deep inside the diamond. You don't want to hurt their feelings do you? ;)