What's Wrong With This Diamond?

SirLouie

I recently saw this diamond at what I thought was a very good price and was considering purchasing it. I've never purchased a diamond over the internet, but I've done a lot of research. This seems to have excellent statistics, is a very long (rectangular) diamond, and seems to have reasonable depth and table. I understand I'll have to see the diamond in person to gauge fire and brilliance, but I wanted to borrow the expertise of the forum before bringing it in.

What does "grain centers" mean, as described in the certificate? Approximately how much should a stone like this sell for? And what is wrong if it appears to be selling for much less than that?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attached: GIA report

post-112969-1178033642_thumb.jpg

‘Grain centers’ is referring to the internal structure of the diamond. It’s not anything to be especially concerned with in a VVS1 but it’s probably the reason that the stone is being discounted. E/VVS1’s of unusual cuts are a tough item to sell

What ‘should’ it cost? That depends on the seller. In the database here, that stone seems to cost about $4k depending on which dealer you choose. Superficially similar stones seem to be about $5k. Usually this difference will have to do with the grading accuracy by the lab or if there is an issue with the cutting, neither of which can be evaluated without looking at the stone itself.

Neil

Barry, you are seeing it the same way that I do. I do not have the stone in my possession yet - it's from an online dealer.

Denverappraiser, when you say unusual cuts, do you mean radiant? Why are they tough to sell? And what do "grain centers" look like in general?

The stone is selling for approximately $4k. I thought this price was low for an E-VVS1 because I was looking for stones in the 1 carat F-VS2 range and they cost about the same. I guess I'm just a little nervous that there's something really wrong with this and I'm just not seeing it in the numbers. I've got an F-VS1 stone, pol/sym G/G, 74.4%d 70%t at a local dealer's that I'm going to see tomorrow. The thing is, that stone is $4400, whereas this E-VVS1, pol/sym VG/VG, 70.8%d 63%t is $400 *cheaper*. Why would it be cheaper if nearly all the other statistics are "better"?

I use the term "better" in quotes because I know I won't *really* know until I see the diamonds in person.

I posted my question to make sure that few people would say "that stone is worthless because of nnn ... don't waste your time." If anyone has any other advice before I give the stone a trial, please let me know. It sounds like it's a reasonable deal to me, and with an x-day return policy (I can't remember what it is), what do I have to lose?

Thanks for all advice thus far!

You answered your own question. ‘Better’ stats doesn’t always mean a better stone, although it might be. There is a marketplace ahead of you, the one where the dealer bought the stone, that apparently valued this one at a discount. Perhaps it was a distressed sale or some such thing but this would not normally be visible to the final customer. The dealers are pretty savvy folks and if they think they can get an extra thousand dollars for it, that’s very likely what will happen.

Graining looks sort of like the swirl marks in glass that changes the light slightly when you look through it in different directions. On a VVS1, it’s going to be very subtle and very small.

Radiant’s are only a tiny fraction of the diamond market. Less than 1%. Dealers like to stock things that either sell well for them or that they can get a big markup on. An E/VV1 radiant isn’t likely to be something that many would choose for inventory because they’re likely to own it for a while before the right customer comes along. The right dealer in the right marketplace may do well with it but it’s not the commodity type product that a half carat G/SI1 round ideal would be.

Neil