Picked Up My First Egl Cert Diamond

Jay Johnson

First post.

I've picked up my first EGL cert diamond, and I've read the faq on EGL vs GIA/AGS. The diamond looks good

and I feel comfortable with the price and gave myself some room for optimistic grading. Now I'd like to get

information on how much faith to put into the EGL cert that came with the stone. It also came with a small UGS

appraisal.

I was hoping for a more quantitative comparo in the faq like "50% of the stones surveyed were 1 clarity grade

higher and 1 color grade higher when certified at EGL as compared to GIA." But maybe no one has compiled

data of this nature. It would be quite difficult to gather a lot of data unless many shops would contribute their

info to a pool.

The diamond is reported by EGL to be 1.18 round brilliant E IF. With my moderately trained eye, I compared it

with a GIA .63 D IF. I can see a very-slight color difference. I don't think it's more than 2, maybe 3 color letters

from the D stone. Putting my estimate of color at F-G.

I dont' have a good steroscope to check the clarity at high mag, so I wanted to ask the forum if anyone had

found an EGL cert that stated Internally Flawless, but the stone had some inclusions?

It seems(and I hope) that IF should be IF(non-subjective), even at EGL :o

Jay Johnson

I picked it up this morning. Now I'm in a short return period. It's unmounted and it looks good, clean by a 8x

loop and I can usually find the inclusions of vs1's and some vvs2's.

And I feel like I'm in the ballpark on color. A lot of fire, but just a touch shy of my Ideal cut D IF.

Jay Johnson

I picked it up this morning. Now I'm in a short return period. It's unmounted and it looks good, clean by a 8x

loop and I can usually find the inclusions of vs1's and some vvs2's.

And I feel like I'm in the ballpark on color. A lot of fire, but just a touch shy of my Ideal cut D IF.

Jay Johnson

After everything said and done you need to like the stone if you feel comfortable just go with it.

One thing I need to tell you is that I always recommend my costumers to go only with GIA stone for the reason if you want to upgrade the stone in the long run it will be much easer and you get more money with a GIA stone then A EGL stone. Hope this helps.