Is This A Legit Gia Certificate?

jimmyle

Hi,

I purchased a diamond online with an GIA certificate. But when I receive the diamond, the certificate is not what I had expected. This certificate is only 2.5" X 1". The GIA certificates that I have seen at local Jewelers are much bigger. Please let me know if my 2.5" x 1" certificate is legit or not?

Are these certified diamonds marked with the GIA number on the girdle?

This is what I expected:

http://www.diamond-ring-buyers-guide.com/gia.jpg

Can you post a scanned image of the cert you received?

You can also run an online report check @ http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ to make sure the report # matches the specs listed on the stone. GIA does issue different diamond certification formats (diamond dossiers, full grading reports) but I'm not familiar with one that matches the size dimensions you mentioned. If I could see a copy, that would be helpful. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the mini-sticker that GIA provides with its reports so that the a miniature copy of the diamond certification can be added onto the diamond paper for identification. There should be a official GIA report that accompanies the diamond however with the sticker/label.

A diamond certified by GIA does not mean that the report number will necessarily be laser-inscribed on the girdle. You can always have a jeweler check for you to see if anything was inscribed.

Edited by engagediamonds

I don't have a scanner at home, but i have played with the "standard certificate" to create something similar to mine. I checked the certificate number at the link you sent me and it is good. The certificate I have because of its size, only contains the blue section of the "standard GIA report" on one side and the GIA name of the other side. note that this is not my certificate. Mine is only 1.04 carat.

Thanks.

Can you post a scanned image of the cert you received?

You can also run an online report check @ http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/ to make sure the report # matches the specs listed on the stone. GIA does issue different diamond certification formats (diamond dossiers, full grading reports) but I'm not familiar with one that matches the size dimensions you mentioned. If I could see a copy, that would be helpful.

post-112885-1177183777_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimmyle

What you probably have there is the label/sticker that accompanies a GIA diamond dossier. It's used to stick onto the diamond paper that the specific diamond is packaged in. This is sent in addition to the official certificate. You should be able to contact the business you purchased your diamond from and request that the official GIA cert be sent to you.

• 1 year later...