Platinum Rings

faboo

hi there,

i too am in the process of finding a ring for my girl. she wants a three stone platinum ring with a center of at least 1ct, so that part is all done. my question is, if i get a 1 ct with an IDEAL cut, can a diamond with a colour rating I be noticable on a platinum ring? should i get a higher colour rating or can i even get a J colour rating? the clarity will be about VS1 or VS2. i dont think i want any flourescence on the ring too.

also, with the 1 ct diamond, can i reduce the costs by not buying 2 .50ct side stones? would she tell if i got 2 .40ct ones instead. the smaller sidestones would make the center one bigger, right?

thanks,

Don

Superb cutting tends to be where you get your best bang for your buck these days and I agree that ideal’s are generally quite lovely. It’s worth noting that not everyone uses this term the same way and not all stones described as ‘ideal’ are the same. Pay attention to what scale is being used and how it is being applied.

Few people can tell the difference between a correctly graded I and a correctly graded G in a mounted stone. Each step is color grading is very small and the process is a bit like deciding which raindrop makes a storm and it becomes a difficult shopping process. For most people, the line gets drawn at about H-I and the decision mostly has to do with money. For what it’s worth, my wife wears a J and is thrilled with it. In anything like normal lighting conditions it shows no color at all although upside down on a white sheet of paper in my lab you can see it.

I’m curious why you are going for VS clarity grades if price is a major objective. As I’m sure you know, this comes with a premium and it’s an attribute that isn’t visible without magnification. Visibly, correctly graded SI1’s and even most SI2’s are going to be the same and will be available for quite a bit less money.

Assuming that you aren’t buying a custom setting, which will raise the price considerably, the ratio of the center stone to the side stones is going to be limited by the mounting manufacturer. One carat center with half carat sides is pretty common. With some you have a fair amount of leeway for using slightly bigger or smaller stones but others are pretty specific about what will fit. Have you chosen a mounting yet?

Just out of curiosity, what’s wrong with fluorescence?

Neil

thanks for your reply Neil, i've added my replies in red below...

Superb cutting tends to be where you get your best bang for your buck these days and I agree that ideal’s are generally quite lovely. It’s worth noting that not everyone uses this term the same way and not all stones described as ‘ideal’ are the same. Pay attention to what scale is being used and how it is being applied.

i was looking at Blue Nile website, they use Signature/Ideal as their high end scale.

Few people can tell the difference between a correctly graded I and a correctly graded G in a mounted stone. Each step is color grading is very small and the process is a bit like deciding which raindrop makes a storm and it becomes a difficult shopping process. For most people, the line gets drawn at about H-I and the decision mostly has to do with money. For what it’s worth, my wife wears a J and is thrilled with it. In anything like normal lighting conditions it shows no color at all although upside down on a white sheet of paper in my lab you can see it.

so does that mean having a platinum setting has no effect on the colour?

I’m curious why you are going for VS clarity grades if price is a major objective. As I’m sure you know, this comes with a premium and it’s an attribute that isn’t visible without magnification. Visibly, correctly graded SI1’s and even most SI2’s are going to be the same and will be available for quite a bit less money.

i was selecting the VS grades because, i'm not too concerned about inclusion i can't see. i've been told SI may/may not have inclusions visable to the naked eye. i dont think she would care. i guess the inclusions would give that "fingerprint" to that stone, right?

Assuming that you aren’t buying a custom setting, which will raise the price considerably, the ratio of the center stone to the side stones is going to be limited by the mounting manufacturer. One carat center with half carat sides is pretty common. With some you have a fair amount of leeway for using slightly bigger or smaller stones but others are pretty specific about what will fit. Have you chosen a mounting yet?

from the blue nile site, i was given the choices of .40 ct to .55 ct side stones. she wants a tre stelles settings, and the one they have availlable has a four prong mounting.

Just out of curiosity, what’s wrong with fluorescence?

i guess nothing really, but i think it would look wierd in a UV enviroment.

Neil