Lost Diamond

Arlexda

I lost the setting out of my wedding ring and my house hasn't been cleaner. Sorry, trying to not cry. :(:o

I would like to know what it would cost to replace the diamond and could someone give me a description of what the codes mean, i.e., S I-1, H. The appraisal was done on June 2, 1993 for $4,250.00. I have the actual ring, but the six prong Tiffany center will have to be replaced. Can this be done without causing any problem?

At any rate, the diamond description is as follows:

.73 ct brilliant cut diamond. S I-1 quality in H in color. Measurements 5.6 mm diameter, 3.4 mm depth with medium girdle.

I would appreciate any information that would help me to make the correct decision about a replacement and amount I should pay.

Thank you so much for your help.

Arlexda

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The good news is that I suspect you will have little trouble replacing it with another for less than that appraisal. To learn the language used in describing diamonds, read through the tutorials at the link at the top of the page. You can get a pretty good idea of the budget by clicking on the 'find online jeweler' link and filling out the form that this leads to. Even if you have no intention of buying online this will give you a pretty good idea of some competitive offers for a stone of those specs.

Replacing the prongs ususally isn't a terribly difficult jub but it will depend a bit on the design of your ring. A local bench jeweler should be able to look it over and tell you what can be done to make your new stone secure as well as to provide you with an estimate of the costs.

Neil