Is This A Good Deal?

azmojo

I'm looking to buy a loose diamond for an engagement ring, and I've negotiated the following deal. I plan to go through with it next week unless I find out otherwise.

Wt: 1.57

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

Cut: Princess

Table: 73%, Depth: 65%

Polish: VG

Symmetry: G

Fluror: None

Girdle: Med/Thick

Price: $9000

This is online so I haven't seen it in person.

My goal was to spend about $10k total on engagement ring. I just weant the best overall value possible (good size, good clarity, good color). I know my girl wants the princess cut and white gold.

The things I don't really know about are table, depth, polish, symm. Are these figures OK for this diamond?

Thanks for the help!

Your price is fine. Actually it's quite low. Here's that same stone being sold by one of the dealers here for $10,200. That's enough difference that it actually makes me a little nervous. These guys don't get that much of a margin and it raises a bit of a red flag for me. I see another listing it at $9,800. Normally they're within a few percent of each other when they're selling the same rock so these aren't so surprising but getting it for $9k is a considerable discount. Can you tell us more about the dealer and the deal?

Neil

I'm looking to buy a loose diamond for an engagement ring, and I've negotiated the following deal. I plan to go through with it next week unless I find out otherwise.

Wt: 1.57

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

Cut: Princess

Table: 73%, Depth: 65%

Polish: VG

Symmetry: G

Fluror: None

Girdle: Med/Thick

Price: $9000

This is online so I haven't seen it in person.

My goal was to spend about $10k total on engagement ring. I just weant the best overall value possible (good size, good clarity, good color). I know my girl wants the princess cut and white gold.

The things I don't really know about are table, depth, polish, symm. Are these figures OK for this diamond?

Thanks for the help!

As Neil said this doesn't make sence, please let us know where you saw this stone.

Edited by diamondsonfifth.com

I contacted a dealer with diamond listings on Ebay, based in New York. They have good feedback for 55 previous diamond transactions. The price was $9500, I negotiated $9000 for a cash payment. I don't have the name of the dealer handy but I plan to look it up in the BBB and NY Co

I saw almost the exact same stone doing a search on this website so I figured the price was OK, but I am just not familiar with how negotiable diamond prices are, what margins are, etc.

I have a copy of the GIA certificate.

The measurements are 6.66 x 6.51 x 4.26 mm.

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by azmojo

The stone looks pretty promising,

The dealer looks pretty promising,

The deal looks pretty promising.

I can't say I would recommend the 'cash' deal with a dealer that you've got no experience with so I would recommend paying a couple percent more to get it under the protection of one of the credit card deals but most of the dealers are happy to do this if you are willing to pay the CC company fees - usually about 2%. Pay attention to the 14 day inspection/appraisal period. That's tight, especially if you are far away from NYC, but it's not unreasonable.

Neil

I can't say I would recommend the 'cash' deal with a dealer that you've got no experience with so I would recommend paying a couple percent more to get it under the protection of one of the credit card deals but most of the dealers are happy to do this if you are willing to pay the CC company fees - usually about 2%. Pay attention to the 14 day inspection/appraisal period. That's tight, especially if you are far away from NYC, but it's not unreasonable.

Neil

I know them, very nice people. But i think they sell clarity inhanced stones.

Neil

I know them, very nice people. But i think they sell clarity inhanced stones.

That's a good point, I will be sure to ask.

If it was clarity enhanced, would that be reflected on the GIA certificate?

That's a good point, I will be sure to ask.

If it was clarity enhanced, would that be reflected on the GIA certificate?

GIA will not grade clarity enhanced stones. I suppose it's possible that someone could get it enhanced after GIA looks at it but since they are using the GIA reported grade there really is no point in this.

This sort of question is part of why you should have it inspected by a pro during your 14 day return period.

It doen't so much matter if they sell enhanced stones, the real question is whether this one is enhanced. I suspect that it's not.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser