Rate My Purchase

jimmyle

Hi,

I just bought a diamond thru this website and I just want to know if this is a good deal compared to what I can get thru a local jewerly store. I paid $5700 for this. What should I expect to pay if I were to get this at a local shop?

Thanks,

On the GIA certificate:

Carat Weight: 1.04 Color: F Clarity: VS2 Depth%: 64.3 Table %: 55 Symmetry: VG Polish: EX Girdle: M-STK Culet: N Fluorescence: N Measurements: 6.41x6.43x4.13 Cut Grade: Excellent

No response? May be I wrote something wrong here? Anyway, I got the diamond and my fiacee likes it. I was a just a litlle insecure being a first time buyer.

Hi,

I just bought a diamond thru this website and I just want to know if this is a good deal compared to what I can get thru a local jewerly store. I paid $5700 for this. What should I expect to pay if I were to get this at a local shop?

Thanks,

On the GIA certificate:

Carat Weight: 1.04 Color: F Clarity: VS2 Depth%: 64.3 Table %: 55 Symmetry: VG Polish: EX Girdle: M-STK Culet: N Fluorescence: N Measurements: 6.41x6.43x4.13 Cut Grade: Excellent

It’s not that I was ignoring you, I just hate to give advice about a particular stone after it’s a done deal. The time to be asking this sort of questions is BEFORE you buy it, not after you’ve bought it and given it to your beloved.

It’s also a problem to try and second guess your local jewelers. They're not all the same. If there’s a particular jewelry store who’s pricing you would like to compare to, simply go in and ask them. There really isn’t an overriding principle of what ‘local jewelry stores’ charge any more than there is a standard for what Internet and mail order dealers charge. They each set their own prices.

Neil

Hi,

Thanks,

On the GIA certificate:

Hey, congrats on the diamond and the engagement. Color and clarity look great! It's cut a little on the deep side but still good and within GIA's "Excellent" grade. Some people say GIA allows too deep of diamonds in their "Excellent" cut range though. Could've you gotten it a little cheaper? Yeah probably, but you paid a fair price and didn't get ripped off or anything like that. It's hard to say what you're local jeweler would charge, some have much more fair prices than others. And some cities charge more than others. There's something called the weekly Rapaport Diamond Report, which is considered the de-facto retail priceline by many. It requires a subscription so i don't have access to it and would't be able to give a general price that a retailer would charge. But of course Neil knows more about this than I do.

Thanks, as long as the price is within range I am ok. Yeah, i just read an article saying that depth shouldn't be more than 64%. But then other values look good.

Hey, congrats on the diamond and the engagement. Color and clarity look great! It's cut a little on the deep side but still good and within GIA's "Excellent" grade. Some people say GIA allows too deep of diamonds in their "Excellent" cut range though. Could've you gotten it a little cheaper? Yeah probably, but you paid a fair price and didn't get ripped off or anything like that. It's hard to say what you're local jeweler would charge, some have much more fair prices than others. And some cities charge more than others. There's something called the weekly Rapaport Diamond Report, which is considered the de-facto retail priceline by many. It requires a subscription so i don't have access to it and would't be able to give a general price that a retailer would charge. But of course Neil knows more about this than I do.