Color Or Clarity

echos

I'm just wondering if we are to look at an ideal cut diamond with the same carat weight, would you recommend someone to get a better color ie G over H or choose a VVS2 over a VS1? In other words, does color or clarity have more impact in the value of the diamond?

thanks

If won’t get into what is more desirable because this depends on what you consider to be important but all other things about the deal being equal, changing color from H to G will usually cost more than changing the clarity from VS1 to VVS2.

You can use the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ to get a pretty good feel for how these things relate. Choose a set of parameters and do a search, then change one parameter and do another.

Neil

I think it's more important to know where the diminishing returns are. Around SI1/VS2 is where getting higher in clarity doesn't make much of a difference in how it looks but makes it cost a lot more. And around F/G in color is where going higher in color isn't going to make much of a difference but will cost a lot more.

So it depends on what you're looking at. If you're looking at stones that are G color and I1 clarity, you will want to put any extra money in something that is higher clarity. For J color and VS2 clarity, you will want to boost the color. If F color and VS2 clarity, then you'll want to spend any extra money on getting a better cut diamond and/or higher carat weight. In fact cut will come before both color and clarity in most cases since it has the most impact o it's brilliance. A well cut diamond can make it look more white and more clear.

Edited by H and A