Diamond Im Thinking About Buying

dragonfire

Ok I'm about to take the plunge into buying my first real diamond for a girl i love.

Size:1.02

Color:j

Clarity: l1

Cost:2695

type: Round brilliant

measurements:6.37-6.40 x3.85mm

Depths:60.4

flouresence: none

Ok i know what your saying is l1 might have inclusion but person who im buying it from hand picks them out and seems like to be honest and i beleive him when he says you cant see the inclusions. So i trust him with what he saying. Also to add i never bought a diamond from him either.

This is what he/company says about the diamond: direct quotes nothing but named removed has been altered

"The stone itself has a great cut and is "incredibly bright" to quote named removed. There is no hint of a tint in the stone. There are no large inclusions in the stone to leap out to your eye, just some small spots. It comes with a full GIA report too. "

"He tells me that the inclusions are in the center of the stone but he can't see them without a 10x loupe The J color will show a tint if you hold it next to an F so I advise you not to do that! No, seriously, Name removed made a point of saying that this stone doesn't show a tint face up."

My question is i done alot reserach and this seems like a great buy but i howerver lack whole in person seeing alot diamonds that are l1. Most dealers i go to dont have any in stock. I dont care what it shows on paper and only care what looks like in person. I dont care if there inclusion at 10power just that there is none that i can see by my naked eye or anyone else could see by theres. Im not worried color as long as it shows colorless to naked eye. What your opinion on buying a diamond like this.

Ill try to post a few pictures of the diamond. Please say your comments and concerns.

Thank you

JT

* reason why i removed the name i didnt want the name of company influence people opinions on it. If you think it makes a difference i will tell you the company.

Edited by dragonfire

JT,

It sounds like you've found a dealer that you're happy with and who communicates well with you. If it's accurately described the price is entirely reasonable and what remains is to look at the stone in person and perhaps get it inspected by an independent pro for things like cutting, damage since GIA looked at it and the like.

There's nothing wrong with buying an I-1 and the prices are generally more affordable because of the moniker. Have you seen the stone? Can you arrange to see it before you make a final commitment?

Neil

No i havent seen the diamond in person but got alot pictures of it... Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask him to send it to me to see it in person if i pay for shipping both ways...I could use my credit card as a security. I however want him to set it in a ring once i made my decisions so it would just be to apraise it and other good info.

his return policy is 7 days and be honest in my town there not a lot diamond dealers that i would trust with there opinion. I went into one of ours and i knew more about diamonds then her which i found quite disturbing.

Ohh ya any other question i should ask him before I decide. Also when i get it appraised what im i looking for? If he grades the diamond differently then GIA or value he says it worth.

Edited by dragonfire

Yes, that's reasonable.

7 days is a little tight because some appraisers are kind of busy and you need to account for shipping times but within logistical limits of the people involved this is fine. There are a few appraisers (like me) who regularly work with out of town clients and I can examine the stone and email the report to you but this doesn't get you the opportunity to look at it in person. This makes the shipment flow from the dealer to me, from me to you (or back to the dealer) and from you to the dealer. If everybody is in the US this works but it's a tight schedule and if either of you is overseas it's out of the question.

Most of the big dealers ship via FedEx or USPS overnight using 3rd party insurance that isn't available to consumers so the return shipping, if needed, is via USPS registered mail which travels quite a bit slower. Schedule your appointment with the appraiser first and make sure that the 7 day return date is when you ship the package, not when it's delivered by the post office.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I know of at least one dealer who will send your diamond to an independent appraiser near you to inspect, and if you and the appraiser are satisfied with the purchase, you provide payment to the dealer and then once the funds clear (or CC authorizes, or whatever), the dealer then informs the appraiser that he can release the stone to you.

I don't know if the vendor you're looking at would do this, but it can't hurt to ask.

What dealer is that?

thank you

I know of at least one dealer who will send your diamond to an independent appraiser near you to inspect, and if you and the appraiser are satisfied with the purchase, you provide payment to the dealer and then once the funds clear (or CC authorizes, or whatever), the dealer then informs the appraiser that he can release the stone to you.

I don't know if the vendor you're looking at would do this, but it can't hurt to ask.

What dealer is that?

thank you

I know of over a dozen dealers who will do that through me although I can't speak for how they work with other appraisers. Several are advertisers here. It would be a bias for me to recomend one or even a few but they should all be happy to discuss the possibility with you if you call them up or email them.

Neil

Wasnt eye clean and cut quality wasnt exactly what i wanted(minor detail compared). The diamond looked like it had bunch of nats flying in center of it. Especially if you looked from the side.

The color(J) was fine for me. I couldnt even notice a tint at all.

Edited by dragonfire

Wasnt eye clean and cut quality wasnt exactly what i wanted(minor detail compared). The diamond looked like it had bunch of nats flying in center of it. Especially if you looked from the side.

I have to tell you this, you should have known that an I1 Clarity stone won't be eye clean, accept if your jeweler lied to you. Regarding cut this is the most important of the 4 c's so for the next diamond stick with a very good to ideal cut diamond, it may cost you more but it is worth it. Hope this helps.

I think me and dealer got different opinions on what is eye clean and whats a great cut. GIA marked it as fair cut. I was under the oppression that it was great or excellent.

I agree i should of know better about I1 clarity but i put 2 much faith in the person who was selling the diamond. Quotes up top was exactly what he told me. It was 100 dollar learning experience for me. My question is will s1 be clear enough or vs2 or better my only options. Sorry i never saw a i1 before that was sent out so i had no clue what to expect besides what GIA said however i was under impression that it was eye clean.

I will be staying with ideal cuts only at this point. I added another 1thousand to the budget to get what i wanted.

I have to tell you this, you should have known that an I1 Clarity stone won't be eye clean, accept if your jeweler lied to you. Regarding cut this is the most important of the 4 c's so for the next diamond stick with a very good to ideal cut diamond, it may cost you more but it is worth it. Hope this helps.

Edited by dragonfire

So These are two diamonds im interested in both are excellent cut. I seen pictures of Diamond 2 yet to see them of diamond 1. Diamond 1 is about 4 hours away in a car so i could possible go see it before i make my mind up.

DIAMOND 1

Round Brilliant $3097.14

Measurements: 6.07 - 6.11 x 3.72 mm

Carat Weight: 0.83

Color Grade: G

Clarity Grade: SI1

Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 61.1 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 34.5°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 40.8°