Need Opinions On This Diamond

BarryT

I've been looking for a few weeks and all of the local dealers are outrageous compared to online stores. I found this diamond for sale on my banks website. It's priced at $2547.00

It's a princess cut 0.74

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Cut: Excellent

GIA report # 15557817

Measurements: 5.07 x 4.99 x 3.57

Table: 70%

Depth: 71.5%

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: tn-stk

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?f...amp;weight=0.74

Where are you getting the "Excellent" Cut Grade from?

GIA does not give Cut Grades to Princess Cuts, only to round diamonds.

If your bank is sticking that Cut Grade in there, it's misleading and in error.

Interesting. I’ve never been one for the one-stop shopping type of vendors but the price does seem pretty much in line with most of their competitors so what the heck, if you like shopping at the bank and you like the stone I guess it works. My preference as a shopper is to buy things from folks who know about what they’re selling and I enjoy interacting with my bank only slightly more than I enjoy my relationship with my dentist (who knows, maybe she should start selling things in the waiting room :unsure: ). I suppose it’s not out of the question that they can be a good bank/auto insurer/jeweler/travel agent for the same reasons that Costco can combine dog food sales with wine and watch sales and still seem to do a decent enough job at it.

Have you seen the stone? Do you love it?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

The table's a bit too big to be ideal but some people like that. And the polish and symmetry are a little less than ideal but shouldn't be too noticeable. Other than that the price is competitive. If looking for an ideal princess cut diamond find one with an AGSL certificate.

• 1 month later...
I've been looking for a few weeks and all of the local dealers are outrageous compared to online stores. I found this diamond for sale on my banks website. It's priced at $2547.00

It's a princess cut 0.74

Color: F

Clarity: VS2

Cut: Excellent

GIA report # 15557817

Measurements: 5.07 x 4.99 x 3.57

Table: 70%

Depth: 71.5%

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: tn-stk

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?f...amp;weight=0.74

i can say this is not a very good diamond b'cos of the feather inclusion and the gridle. it's best to avoid feather as an inclusion. this diamond has a slightly thick gridle. :)

Feathers are not necessarily bad and advising against a stone with a feather without having physically examined it is just plain bad advice.

GIA does not grade cut for princess diamonds, so the listed ‘cut grade’ of excellent is bad info.

However, at the risk of picking nits, this poor bank diamond has come under fire unnecessarily.

AGS Ideal: There are many princess cuts with 70% tables that acquire the AGS Ideal rating. This one may be extremely beautiful, or may not be beautiful at all…there is simply no way to tell with the info provided. It would need to be sent to AGS to determine that. The term Ideal (in the AGS Ideal sense) doesn’t apply here since it was graded by GIA.

Finish: As H and A indicated, VG polish and symmetry are no different to the naked eye than Excellent or Ideal polish & symmetry.

Girdle: The most desirable girdle ranges are Thin, Medium and Slightly Thick. Any diamond with one of these as an average is perfectly fine. Outside these ranges both major labs will penalize the diamond. When the min-max range extends beyond Thin-STK it’s should be physcially examined to determine why, but there is no problem with this girdle.

Feather: A feather is a tiny fissure inside a diamond, often caused by a crystal that expanded during the diamond’s formation. When it is large, open or reaches the girdle in an unsafe way it can be a durability risk and should be avoided. When it is tiny, away from the girdle or fully enclosed it is fine. Remember that diamonds are subjected to extremes of pressure, friction and heat during sawing, bruting and cross-working that they will never be subjected to again (they turn white-hot on the wheel). ‘Safe’ feathers are common. I suspect, if this feather were a durability issue, the diamond would not have received the VS2 grade. In any event, it should be examined before making a judgment.

Hopefully this is helpful info. I also find it unusual for a bank to be offering diamond-finding services. Maybe the dollar has receded so much that we’re changing currencies. ;)

Does this bank have “show and tellers?†;)

Edited by JohnQuixote

Feathers are not necessarily bad and advising against a stone with a feather without having physically examined it is just plain bad advice.

I Agree with Barry, and if all the specs are correct then it is a very good price. Before you do anything just make sure they have a good return policy.