Deal Or No Deal?

avolution14

I've been doing my research on-line, at 1/2 a dozen jewelers, and survived the diamond district. Looking for your thoughts or comments on whether or not I got a good deal:

SETTING: My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) fell in love with an 8,700 USD SCOTT KAY engagement ring, but as you can figure this is out of my price range, as well as almost anyone else on these threads! I had a jeweler match the ring almost exact for 3,495 USD in platinum and with the same quality of diamonds on the setting (G/ VS2) and carats (1.10).

CENTER DIAMOND: I just cannot bare the thought of purchasing something on-line that I have not seen. I know others are comfortable and congrats on saving the money, but I also could not buy a car on-line even if it was for a few grand less! So I purchased the following for 6,695 USD from the same jeweler in NJ, as this diamond had the most fire and brilliance of anything in it's price range I've seen (even beating out anything from the infamous diamond district):

EGL Certified - 1.26 carat - G color - VS2 - Excellent Ideal Cut

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Can you provide some more information about the diamond? (ie. measurements, % proportions, fluouresence, etc.) As well, is this an EGL USA certified diamond?

Thanks for your response! Just the EGL, and NOT EGL-USA.

Measurements: 6.99 - 6.93 X 4.26 mm.

Proportions: Total Depth: 61.2%, Table: 57%, Crown Height: 15%, Pavillion: 43%, Girdle: Medium, Faceted.

Finish: Good to Very Good

Symettry: Excellent

Culet: None

Graining: Nil

Fluorescence: None

EXCELLENT IDEAL CUT

If this diamond is what the certification says it is, this is a great deal. I have reservations about the certification, especially if the diamond is certified by an EGL branch outside of North America. I have seen many EGL International certified diamonds that are easily 2-3 grades lower in colour/clarity. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable. You could always get it recertified by another lab if the grade is of concern to you.

Edited by engagediamonds

If this diamond is what the certification says it is, this is a great deal. I have reservations about the certification, especially if the diamond is certified by an EGL branch outside of North America. I have seen many EGL International certified diamonds that are easily 2-3 grades lower in colour/clarity. At the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable. You could always get it recertified by another lab if the grade is of concern to you.

I compared this diamond to others certified by GIA and EGL and I beleive EGL got it right. I am very happy and confident with the purchase and the way it looks, but just wanted to get some feedback from others.

Thanks for your posts!!!!