Universal Gemological Laboratory

topaz

Hello everyone,

I am so grateful to have found this website. It seems that so many of you are walking encyclopedia's!! Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

I came across this posting on craigslist http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/jwl/300612725.html I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of The Universal Gemological Laboratory? Is this the same as EGL?

Thanks,

Topaz

Acronyms can be a problem. EGL-USA has an 'appraisal' division called Universal Gemological Services, who I would definitely recommend that you avoid relying on, but this isn't them. This is just some advertisement that was printed up to claim their diamond is 'worth' 10x what they plan to sell it for. Anyone with a computer and a printer can make one. It's not even a real advertisement, it's a sample! :) This tells you nothing about the stone but quite a bit about the dealer. I do agree with his advice of 'buy like a diamond dealer', which would include not having anything to do with people like this.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

"EGL-USA has an 'appraisal' division called Universal Gemological Services..."

Yes, and their appraisals are incredibly inflated and beyond reality. Designed to assist the retail jeweler in helping you lose weight by lightening your wallet.

Yes, and their appraisals are incredibly inflated and beyond reality. Designed to assist the retail jeweler in helping you lose weight by lightening your wallet.

Agreed, but the UGL being shown in this advertisement isn't them so we can't hold this one against them.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Barry, i love that line.

Thank you all so much. ;)

• 10 months later...

I have noticed UGL (and other) certs showing up on eBay quite often. Other than the inflated prices :( is the rest of the info listed accurate?

I've been thinking about buying an estate or vintage/repro ring. I'm in the "looking" stage :lol: and prior to this the only certs I've seen are GIA.

Thanks for the info.