Purchasing A Diamond In Antwerp

Sile

Antwerp is a nice town. Nice streets, beautiful architecture, great food and lots of jewelers. What more do you need? Jewelry is a great souvenir of a vacation there. If you’re looking for the cheapest prices on a diamond, buy a t-shirt in Belgium and buy your diamond from one of the US Internet dealers.

Neil

Unless you have a very solid reliable diamond maven connection in the Antwerp trade, chances are very good you will get ripped off.

Be very careful.

Thanks for the feeback. Maybe I will reconsider. I don't actually live in the US so it's not very convenient for me to buy from a US internet company getting such an item through customs in Ireland etc. I would also like to see and try on the ring before I buy therefore it's very important for me to meet with whoever I buy from.

I understand. Rock bottom prices is not the only, or even always the most important consideration. I suspect that you will find that jewelers in Antwerp are no better or worse than jewelers in Ireland and because they are overseas and you are unfamiliar with their respective reputations it’s a bit more of a crapshoot. If price is the reason you are considering Antwerp, try negotiating with your hometown jeweler instead. They can be competitive if they want and, as you point out, they can sometimes add a fair amount to the deal beyond the pricing on the stone.

Neil

Sile;

Diamantaires in Antwerp, New York, Israel, India and in any major Diamond Center are not giving their diamonds away to consumers at bargain basement prices out of the goodness of their hearts.

Since you are entering a venue with which, by your own admission you have no knowledge or experience, it is prudent to have someone you trust to work with you.

Absent this, you need to do your homework and research and get to comfort level before you actually make a purchase.