What To Look For When Looking For An Appraiser?

BrianB

What type of initials should I look for when looking for a reputable jewelry appraiser? Do they have any websites that will refer you to appraisers in your area that meet certain criteria?

So far I know of GG (Graduate Gemologist) and NAJA (No idea what it stand for though though).

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks Barry! I found an appraiser referral thing on but they don't have any appraisers listed in my city.

Do you know of any other initials I should look for in a jewelry appraiser?

Take care,

Brian

Edited by hermann

GG is a gemological credential although a lot of people mistake that for an appraisal credential. It stands for Graduate Gemologist and is issued by GIA www.gia.edu. There are several other good gemological schools as well including the Gemmological Association of Great Britain, which issues a diploma called FGA.

For most jewelry type appraisal assignments, a gemological background is a necessary prerequisite and every appraisal should have gemological credentials as well as appraisal credentials. Appraisal training and continuing education is available from a variety of places including:

American Society of Appraisers www.appraisers.org

American Gem Society www.ags.org

International Society of Appraisers www.isa-appraisers.org

National Association of Jewelry Appraisers www.najaappraisers.com

All of these have online lookup systems for their credentialed members.

ASA Credentials

Member (AM)

Accredited Senior appraiser (ASA)

Master Gemologist Appraiser

AGS Appraisal Credentials (they have credentials for some other things as well)

Certified Gemologist Appraiser (CGA)

Independent Certified Gemologist Appraiser (ICGA)

ISA credentials

Accredited Member (ISA-AM)

Certified Appraiser of Personal Property (ISA-CAPP)

NAJA Credentials

Member (NAJA)

Certified Member (NGJA)

MasterValuer

This is a training program without an online lookup. They issue a credential for:

Registered Master Valuer (RMV)

There are no doubt others but these are the most common and the easiest for online lookup.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil/Barry,

Thanks for the responses. This is the information I was looking for!

Neil,

What type of fee structure do you use for appraising e-rings and wedding bands, flat per item charge, time required for appraisal, etc?

Take care,

Brian

Brian,

For new purchase and pre-loss insurance type work I generally charge a flat fee per item. For very complex items and certain very time consuming clients I charge by the hour. For estate and legal type work I charge by the hour.

Here's a summary of my fee structure.

Neil

Neil/Barry,

Ok, another question... (sorry!) I finally found a few hits for an appraiser on the www.najaappraisers.com website (I think you URL had a typo).

What is the difference b/w a Candidate, Member, Senior Member, Certified Senior Member, and Charter Senior Member ? I can kind of guess that a Candidate is someone that is in the process of becoming a Member, but is a senior member simply someone that has been a member for more than X years? What is the difference b/w a "Certified" and a "Charter" Senior Member? Does Charter mean they were an original member when the NAJA was formed?

Thanks,

Brian

Edit: I think I just found the answer to my question: http://www.najaappraisers.com/html/membershiplevels.html

But if you have some additional info I'd love to hear it.

Edited by BrianB

• 4 weeks later...

In NAJA, ‘charter’ member means that they were among the first members of the group. That’s about 25 years now. In their language, ‘certified’ means that the appraiser has taken and passed a written test on appraisal theory and practice. Your question really does remind me that I need to take that test since I’m just a regular member at the moment. ‘Senior’ refers to people who have taken a moderate number of the NAJA courses and/or attended several of their conventions.

Neil