How Many Carats Is Appropriate?

blackcomb

Hi-

I'm buying a ring, and my basic question is on size. I realize cut is likely more important.

She is petite (5 foot 1 inch) and pretty athletic and active. I don't think a big honking ring is best, even though I can afford it. Is it wrong to get something smaller?

What is the average size that people tend to buy?

What size is small enough that I look cheap?

I read one place that said .75 ct is about average, and the jewelery sales person was telling me 1.00 ct is about average.

My original thought was 0.85-ish ct's.

I realize the other c's are important as well, but I feel pretty comfortable with them. On size I could use a little advice. Thanks

I completely understand what you're saying. That being said, she will compare her ring with others and, as much as I hate to admit it, will care a little how it compares. I'll admit that I do too. Not that we're shallow, just human. I'd prefer to know what's out there as opposed to making an uninformed decision. Thanks.

My opinion is that you should buy whatever makes her happy and be thrilled.. Don't worry about averages, and what other people think..

I would agree. Average is relative to the person buying it. Get what will make her happy and what you can afford. If she likes bling - get the MOST you can safely afford. As you grow older, you will most likely become established and hopfully, successful in life. The little ring you bought years ago may not seem like much - but she will prize it like the Hope Diamond, because of the sentamentality it will bring to her mind. Be generous with your love and your treasure.

I completely understand what you're saying. That being said, she will compare her ring with others and, as much as I hate to admit it, will care a little how it compares. I'll admit that I do too. Not that we're shallow, just human. I'd prefer to know what's out there as opposed to making an uninformed decision. Thanks.

But, see, this is part of how big does she want it.. And comparisons are relaticve based on who you hang out with.. I have friends that run around with 3ct and 4ct boulders on their fingers and I have another group of friends that doesn't wear jewelry at all..

Add to this that if you run with the in crowd in LS or NY a 3ct might be tiny while if you were in Ohio it would see gaudy..

That's what makes questions like this nearly impossible to answer.. It really does come down to two things..

1. Do you love it??

2. Can you afford it??

After that it doesn't really matter..

For the record, my wife doesn't wear her rings at all.. I think she gets them out once a year for the christmas party.. And I have friends that are constantly 'upgrading' everytime they can afford to go bigger..

It really has to do with the circles you travel in. There are communities in Beverly Hills and Aspen where a 1 carat is ‘cute’ and there are other places where she would be taking a personal risk to wear such a thing on her finger. For most people, that is an entirely respectable, even slightly big size. Look around at the fingers on her peers and you’ll get a feel for what they’re sporting. A 1 carat diamond is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Neil

Impossible question to answer as this is really a very personal choice.

What I would advise you is this:

If you're going to buy a 1 ct diamond, then seriously consider going for a .90 to .99 carat size of the same color/clarity.

You can save considerable monies by staying just under the 1 ct mark (where price jumps exponentially) and visually you sacrifice absolutely nothing as it will face up just like a 1 carat stone.

Good Luck!

Here I'm going to be a little bit not old-fashioned. As a professional woman (a physician) who had no input at all in my engagement ring, my advice would be to involve her in the decision!! Granted, it's really romantic and all to propose with a ring, but it would still be romantic to propose, get all the lovey dovey fawning out of the way, then go have a blast looking at rings!! My friends who have gotten to do this were able to choose from a variety of rings which had been preselected by the man, that were within his price range, etc. In your case, since price doesn't seem to be a huge issue, you could have a variety of sizes picked out, so she can feel comfortable choosing any size she likes. That's just my two cents!! Good luck!

Anne

I agree with Anne. I think it's a great idea for you to take your fiance shopping to help pick out her ring. My favorite pieces of jewelry were picked out by both of us including my new wedding ring. We usually take awhile to agree on something but that way we get something that I like and that he likes on me. My advice on a diamond is to get the best cut diamond even if you have to go for a smaller carat weight. The ideal cut diamonds look bigger (I think) because they are so lively.

Have fun shopping!

Marcy