Hrd Certificate

Pechorin

I am currently in possesion of a HRD certified emerald cut diamond from an engagement that didn't happen. As far as I can tell the lab ( http://www.hrd.be/index.php?id=6 ) looks very reputable but now that I'm trying to sell the stone it seems that I need a GIA report. The stone is still in the security package provided in Antwerp and I'm wondering if I need to take it out of the package and have a GIA report done in order to sell it. If so what's wrong with HRD and how exactly do I get a GIA report. I couldn't find any way to deal with them on their website. Thanks for any info.

Ya know diamond dealers have a hard enough time selling diamonds, I've got to imagine it's pretty difficult for an average Joe to sell his. Can't you return it?

I'd never heard of HRD till now. It appears to have some sort of link with the Belgian government. The trouble is nobody is familiar with HRD's grading. A GIA cert will definately help you sell it, but it will still be difficult for you not being a dealer and all. To get it certified by GIA you will have to send it to them loose (not mounted on a ring) with a certification fee (about $75-$150 depending on carat weight). Shipping a diamond insured can be expensive as well.

I'm not sure where you'd sell it. Ebay? idonowidont.com? pawn shop? local jeweler?

Tell us a little more about what HRD says the stone is and what your plans are for selling it. HRD is a respected lab in Europe but they don’t have a lot of credibility here in the US and the style of report with the little plastic case is mostly useless. Their recent reports don't do that. Don’t be worried about breaking that seal. Whether it’s worth your trouble to buy a GIA exam will depend on what you have and who you’re planning on selling to.

If you decide to do it, GIA has instructions on how to submit a stone on their site at www.gia.edu.

Neil

Thanks for the replies. The HRD certificate gives the following details:

Shape- Emerald

Weight- 1.52ct

Clarity- vvs2

Fluorescence- nil

Color grade- sl. tinted white (I)

measurements- 7.67 x 5.61 x 3.97

girdle- medium 3% polished

culet- linear

table width- 79%

cr. height- 10.5%

pav. depth- 57.5%

finish grade- good

So far I have posted the stone on Ebay, Craigslist and this site. I would post on idonowidont.com but they require a different certification. On these forums it was suggested that a Sothebys auction might be a good way to go. I do have a nice hand made ring that the stone was never attached to, so I could have the diamond mounted and do a Sotheby's auction. I have hesitated to this because of the security seal and because I live in Denver and the Sotheby offices are in New York. I ruled out pawn shops today when they offered me 800 dollars. Right now I'm just hoping (pessimistically) for one of the postings to attract a buyer. Do you think it's worth getting a GIA certificate?

Sotheby has pretty high fees for this sort of thing but they don’t do particularly well with HRD grading reports either. Setting it won’t help much in their marketplace. I agree, it’s worth your money to ship it in and get the GIA grading.

If you need assistance with the process, give me a call and I’ll be happy to help since I’m in your neighborhood or you can just set up your own account with GIA and send it to them. Expect about 5-6 weeks at this time of year.

Neil

HRD is a foreign language and unknown entity here in the States.

GIA is a world-wide recognized quality "brand" name and carries clout. As a consumer selling to Pros, you need all the help you can get to achieve a reasonable selling price and the GIA Report assures that your diamond will get their attention.

Thanks for the advice. Clearly HRD is not very well know here, but is it safe to assume that the HRD reports are of a comparable quality to GIA? Not that it will help me with my sales effort but I am wondering what the chances are that a GIA report would yield different results than the one I have. Neil, you said that mounting the stone will not help me sell it on Sotheby's. I have never used their auction before but from looking on their site I got the impression that they didn't sell individual stones. Is that incorrect? Thanks for the offer to help. Right now I'm dealing with a bunch of con artists on ebay. As soon as they prove to be what I think they are, I'll probably get the GIA report.

Don't waste your time with Ebay. Go ahead and get the GIA report.

Even if the GIA report comes up with the same exact report as that of the HRD, you are miles ahead with GIA as HRD is given no consideration by USA diamantaires.

Edited by barry

Yes, Sotheby will consider an unmounted stone. By all means call them up and discuss with them what they have to offer. They will be able to advise you about how they think you should best prepare things for their sales. It's not a shoe in that they will accept this item although there are other auction houses that would surely find it interesting.

Ebay is a tough place for new sellers and people are going to discount your stone because of the HRD documentation. You are already facing a tough challenge against professional sellers and this is yet another handicap. That market is not friendly to newbie sellers with expensive things. No one will touch a VVS stone without GIA paperwork unless they can buy it for VS prices. This is true in the auction markets as well.

The major problem with the auction markets is that when you add up the fees, they take on the order of 20% - 35% of your sale at this price point, plus photography and cataloging fees of several hundred dollars. That's quite a bite. There can also be zinger fees for items that fail to make the reserve amount. Just because it doesn't sell for the price you wanted doesn't mean that you don't pay.

You can get a feel for what you can expect by searching the database here for comparable items. Figure an auction sale will gross about 25% less than what you see comparable items advertised for here and the auction house will take 25% of your proceeds so estimate that you can take home from the major auction market about half to 2/3 of the prices you see here. You can search the database by clicking on the 'find online jeweler' link at the top of the page and choosing a few parameters.

Yes, there’s a decent chance that GIA will give it a different grade from what your HRD report says. It will probably be within a grade of both clarity and color but there’s no guarantee of this. When you do the above math to estimate what you can expect to see from it, assume VS1/J for your GIA comparables and call anything above that a bonus. This is what your buyers are doing.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser