Engagment Ring Question

hustlemania

I am about to buy en engagement ring that is 1.26 carats, F color, VVS2 clarity, with an EGL cert for $7,800. With a platinum solitaire setting the total cost is $8600. I have read the FAQ on the EGL vs GIA and everything but I am not a jewelry person and most of what I have learned is directly related to this purchase. Of course I am nervous about spending that kind of money but if it is justified then fine. The jeweler is the friend of a coworker of mine and he took me to his wholesaler supposedly and everything seemed cool but I do have to ask.

I am about to buy en engagement ring that is 1.26 carats, F color, VVS2 clarity, with an EGL cert for $7,800. With a platinum solitaire setting the total cost is $8600. I have read the FAQ on the EGL vs GIA and everything but I am not a jewelry person and most of what I have learned is directly related to this purchase. Of course I am nervous about spending that kind of money but if it is justified then fine. The jeweler is the friend of a coworker of mine and he took me to his wholesaler supposedly and everything seemed cool but I do have to ask.

Hi There

First regarding the EGL vs GIA, from my experience a EGL F color diamond is a G or H color with the GIA the same is with the clarity, number 2 there is no reason you should be getting a VVS2 when you can get a VS1 for less money both are clean to the necked eye and even under a 10x loop it is very hard for you to see any inclusion.

Edited by diamondsonfifth.com

Hi There

First regarding the EGL vs GIA, from my experience a EGL F color diamond is a G or H color with the GIA the same is with the clarity, number 2 there is no reason you should be getting a VVS2 when you can get a VS1 for less money both are clean to the necked eye and even under a 10x loop it is very hard for you to see any inclusion.

When I was in the shop the VS1 I was shown I could see the inclusions that much more. I can't remember if it was EGL as well or not. I could see a difference in the F color vs the H I was shown though. Again, don't know if it ws EGL either. Let me ask you this flat out. Do you think I am being ripped off at those prices and how much better if any could the prices be for the same situation anywhere else. If its only a few hundred then I'm good with where I am. Thank you for your input.

When I was in the shop the VS1 I was shown I could see the inclusions that much more. I can't remember if it was EGL as well or not. I could see a difference in the F color vs the H I was shown though. Again, don't know if it ws EGL either. Let me ask you this flat out. Do you think I am being ripped off at those prices and how much better if any could the prices be for the same situation anywhere else. If its only a few hundred then I'm good with where I am. Thank you for your input.

Did you look at the diamond with a 10x loupe or just with your eyes? If you could see inclusions using just your eyes than I'm going to guess it wasn't really a VS1. $7,800 is a good price for 1.26ct F color VVS2 diamond, but not all diamonds that are 1.2 ct's F color and VVS2 clarity are created equal.

Take care,

Brian

Hi There

For GIA G VS1 1.24 the price would be around $7600 and for a H VS2 1.24 only $6800.00

Edited by diamondsonfifth.com

Hi There

Now regarding the clarity, as i wrote before a EGL VS1 is a GIA SI1 that maybe the reason you where able to see the inclusions.

Did you look at the diamond with a 10x loupe or just with your eyes? If you could see inclusions using just your eyes than I'm going to guess it wasn't really a VS1. $7,800 is a good price for 1.26ct F color VVS2 diamond, but not all diamonds that are 1.2 ct's F color and VVS2 clarity are created equal.

Take care,

Brian

Thanks,

I did infact look at it with the eye thing (loupe?). The guy was cool and told me how to hold and where to look and how. It seems like all things considered I'm mkaing a good buy.

Hi There

Now regarding the clarity, as i wrote before a EGL VS1 is a GIA SI1 that maybe the reason you where able to see the inclusions.

Thank you for your input. I feel good about my decision. Wish it was GIA but I'll talk to the guy to see if he has a GIA VS1 and compare them.

Thank you for your input. I feel good about my decision. Wish it was GIA but I'll talk to the guy to see if he has a GIA VS1 and compare them.

Now I think you are doing the right thing, just compare and see for yourself. And if you like the first one just go ahead and purchase it. One of the main things when purchasing a diamond is that you need to trust the seller, as this seller was recommended to you through a friend then you should feel confidence in your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Now I think you are doing the right thing, just compare and see for yourself. And if you like the first one just go ahead and purchase it. One of the main things when purchasing a diamond is that you need to trust the seller, as this seller was recommended to you through a friend then you should feel confidence in your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Last question I promise. Once the ring is made I want to get a third party appraisal on it. How do I go about that? And how much is that going to cost me? Thanks.

I don't know where you live but there should be independent third party appraisers in your area, make sure you go to him in the 30 return date, so if you find something wrong you can return it. It cost between $50.00 to $100.00.

I'm in South Jersey, about 10 mins from Philadelphia. Thanks for all your help.