Color Vs Carat Weight

diamondnewbee

Hi experts,

How important is color in a high clarity diamond (VVS1)? I have to choose between a .60ct G color and a 0.40 E color VVS1 diamond .. Both are excellent cut (AGS-0)

The 0.60 ct one is a little expensive and I can afford, but I am worried that because of the G color, it may not shine as much as the E color one ..

Another question is which certificate is better? GIA or AGS ? I heard GIA revised their guidelines in 2006, when did AGS revise their guideline?

Thanks in advance!

Hi experts,

How important is color in a high clarity diamond (VVS1)? I have to choose between a .60ct G color and a 0.40 E color VVS1 diamond .. Both are excellent cut (AGS-0)

The 0.60 ct one is a little expensive and I can afford, but I am worried that because of the G color, it may not shine as much as the E color one ..

Another question is which certificate is better? GIA or AGS ? I heard GIA revised their guidelines in 2006, when did AGS revise their guideline?

Thanks in advance!

The most important of the 4c's for fire is the cut, as I see both are EX cuts diamonds, if you can't afford the E don't worry the G will also look great.

A lot of it comes down to personal taste. I was all freaked out about the color of the diamond I going to pick out and at the last minute my future fiancee finally changed her mind about being involved in the diamond selection process. I had already picked out about 10 different diamonds ranging in color from E all the way down to a J. If it had been up to me I would have picked the E color but the diamond she picked was actually the J! I asked her why she picked that one and she said "it caught her eye".

Unless the diamonds are side by side you most likely won't be able to tell the difference b/w the two diamonds. If they showed you one diamond and then a minute later showed you the other diamond you would probably think they were the same color.

After looking at diamonds for about 4 weeks I can finally tell the difference b/w color grades (for example if I know an H and I are side by side I can point out which one is the H and which is the I), but if I see a single stone by itself I have no clue.

Edited by BrianB

Unless the diamonds are side by side you most likely won't be able to tell the difference b/w the two diamonds. If they showed you one diamond and then a minute later showed you the other diamond you would probably think they were the same color.

True, and the "E" and "G" color grades are pretty similar to each other also, even when put side by side upside down it can be hard for some people to tell the difference. If looking through the top there's a good chance you won't be able to tell the difference even if side by side. Once you start comparing "E" and "H" next to each other upside down you can surely see a little difference though, and if you compare an "I" or "J" color to an "E" there will be an obvious difference.

Edited by H and A

If it had been up to me I would have picked the E color but the diamond she picked was actually the J! I asked her why she picked that one and she said "it caught her eye".

Cool, I predicted correctly B)

http://www.diamond.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=3303

Seems that men tend to want quality and women want the size :)

Edited by H and A

Ok, so there won't be any difference between E and G; but then will there be any noticable difference in size between a 0.40 and a 0.60?

So here are my 2 choices:

0.40 ct, E color, VVS1, AGS-0, 4.68 x 4.72 x 2.88 mm

0.60 ct, G color, VVS1 , AGS-0, 5.40 x 5.46 x 3.30 , costs $600 more ..

The sales guy told me that the 0.59ct one is a better deal because just for $600, I am getting more for my money. But then he said that there is not much difference between the dimensions, i will not notice too much difference in size ..

What do the experts think? Please reply soon .. Thanks a lot for your help ..

Edited by diamondnewbee

Ok, so there won't be any difference between E and G; but then will there be any noticable difference in size between a 0.40 and a 0.60?

So here are my 2 choices:

0.40 ct, E color, VVS1, AGS-0, 4.68 x 4.72 x 2.88 mm

0.60 ct, G color, VVS1 , AGS-0, 5.40 x 5.46 x 3.30 , costs $600 more ..

The thing that will make the noticeable difference for people looking at diamond size will be the diameter. The .60 ct will be about 0.72 mm (or 15%) larger in diameter than the .40 carat. Keep in mind that although it will look approx. 15% larger when side by side, 0.72 mm is not a whole lot. I read that the average human eye can't even perceive a difference of any less than 0.20 mm.

Also, did you know what the difference between a VVS1 and a VS2 is to the naked eye? No difference, anything above VS2 you need a loupe to see the difference. Did you know what the difference in price is? About $500-$1000. So VS1 or VS2 clarity is definately worth a look too.

The thing that will make the noticeable difference for people looking at diamond size will be the diameter. The .60 ct will be about 0.72 mm (or 15%) larger in diameter than the .40 carat. Keep in mind that although it will look approx. 15% larger when side by side, 0.72 mm is not a whole lot. I read that the average human eye can't even perceive a difference of any less than 0.20 mm.

Also, did you know what the difference between a VVS1 and a VS2 is to the naked eye? No difference, anything above VS2 you need a loupe to see the difference. Did you know what the difference in price is? About $500-$1000. So VS1 or VS2 clarity is definately worth a look too.

I agree with H&A. Even when I was looking at VS1 and VS2 diamonds with a 10x loupe I couldn't see anything wrong with the diamonds after checking them out for about 5 minutes a piece from every possible angle. I would definitely go with the .60 ct unless it doesn't "look right" to your eye.

Are you going to view these diamonds in person before making a purchase? If so just look at them to see if you can tell a difference. I personally think you would notice the difference of .72mm. Look at a ruler and imagine 3/4 of one mm.

I would see how much larger of a diamond you can get if you lower your clarity requirements to a VS1 or VS2. Heck you might even be able to get a better color and larger size for the same price.

Take care,

Brian