How Do Appraisals Work?

newdiamond

Sorry if this has been posted already but I looked through most of the postings and I couldn't find an answer to my question.

I will be calling some appraisers in my area that were referred by NAJA soon, but I wanted to know about the appraisal process. How do appraisal services work? Do they keep my ring for an extended period of time (I waited three weeks for it!)? Can I want while they perform an appraisal (I'm a little nervous about leaving my ring with someone I don't know, even though they are certified through a reputable organization...however, I am also willing to wait three/four hours if necessary)? I've read some reviews about fishy appraisers though I know I won't have to worry as the NAJA standards are high. Any other information would be appreciated.

Regards!

Most of my clients will wait and watch the entire process if they only have a piece or two to examine. It normally takes about an hour. This will vary from appraiser to appraiser but I’m sure they will be happy to discuss it with you. NAJA is a fine organization but membership is not especially selective. That is to say, there are some excellent appraisers who are members (I’m a member for example) and there are others that I would be less inclined to recommend. If you have specific things that you are concerned about, ring up your appraiser and ask them if they can do what you want.

Most appraisers work by appointment only and some have fairly busy schedules. Many are prepared to travel to you or meet you at a bank, jeweler or some other convenient location to do their work. Again, call them up and ask.

Neil

• 6 months later...
Will an appraiser need to un-mount a diamond to appraise it. Mine is in a solitaire setting with 4 prongs... quite out in the open.

-bb

I can’t speak for all appraisers but I don’t unmount stones unless there is a really pressing reason for it. Plenty can be done with a mounted stone and data that may be available from previous lab inspections or the dealer themselves to make a very effective and complete pre-loss insurance appraisal. Frankly, I recommend against it in almost all cases because you can damage the stone, the mounting or both in the process. This would also void most warranties if you have one.

will an appraiser show me the laser etched GIA number that should be on my diamond? I'd like to see that!

-bb

As with the above I can't speak for all appraisers but I definitely show clients the girdle inscriptions if they are present and they aren’t covered by the setting. I've got a video-microscope where I can blow them up to 60x on a screen just to make it easy to see. I even include a photomicrograph of it in the body of the report!

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser