Ugl Certification

ryansod

Hi,

I’m thinking a purchasing a Oval Cut Diamond Solitaire Ring from an eBay seller. The seller has a perfect track record from what I can tell on eBay and I’m comfortable with buying items of this amount over the internet. But I have a question of the credibility of a UGL certification. I know it is not as strict as a GIA certification but will I be getting a bogus diamond? Also there is a no questions asked return policy so I’m sure returning the item if I’m not satisfied will not be a problem but I would like to turn the exerts (that’s where you guys come in) to the validity of a UGL certification.

Just so you have a little info on the stone here are the spec. Please let me know if anything jumps out at you.

Thank you for the help.

Ring Type

Oval Cut Diamond Solitaire Ring

Carat

Color

H

Clarity

VS-2 SI-1

Metal

14 K White Gold

Ring Size

6.5 (Can Be Resized FREE, Please Let Us Know Size Needed)

Stock #

Comments

Looks Like a 2 Carat

Measurement

9.01mm X 6.86mm X 3.32mm Depth: 48.4%, Table: 65%

Acronyms can be tricky but the biggest company calling themselves UGL is a low end division of EGL-USA. I call them low end because they grade stones mounted (like most appraisers). This is ok for what it is but it adds a margin of error to every one of the major attributes being described. This means we have a color range from G-I, clarity range from VS1-SI2 and a weight range from about 1.45-1.55.

If you’re going to rely on the lab grading results, use a lab that you’ve got some reason to believe. As a shopping tool, I recommend using nothing but GIA or AGS. Why? Because details matter. The difference between an H/SI-1 and an I/SI-2 is significant. The difference between a 1.45 and a 1.50 is significant.

You can use the tool at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ to search for other offers that may be similar. Try 1.45-1.55, SI1-SI2, H-I.

The claim that a 1.5ct looks like a 2.0ct is evidence of a bad cut. The 48% depth supports this.

Ask yourself why the jeweler chose this particular grading service. There are many others available and they could sell their stone for a whole lot more money if they had it graded by GIA. Assuming GIA agreed with the grade that is. You don’t need to believe me, it’s easy to test. Go back to that same search again and notice the apparent difference the lab choice makes. You can sort by price by clicking on the title bar in the header. Offers range from $2468 to $7770. The top 2 pages are entirely GIA graded and the bottom 2 pages are all graded by EGL and unspecified labs (like UGL). This is NOT a coincidence.

Neil