These are the current .7 ct diamonds I'm considering from White Flash:

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...mond-174068.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...amond-34902.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...amond-34016.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...amond-31009.htm

and these are the 1 ct ones I'm looking at:

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...amond-40277.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-C...amond-78249.htm

The good news is I only live about 3.5 hours from White Flash's store in Houston (which is also where my sister lives) so I will be scheduling an appointment in the next week or two to view the ring and diamonds before making a decision.

Based upon the AGS, SARIN, ASET and Idealscope are there any stones that someone would recommend for me to avoid or strongly consider? For the SI1 1ct stones I will ensure that they are eye clean from the top, bottom and sides. When trying to compare the stones using my eyes what should I be looking for? I've yet to see an "ugly" diamond so that is why I tend to rely more on the scientific methods than what I think looks the best.

Also is it worth going with the larger 1ct but lower color rating stones over the smaller .7 ct but higher color rating and better clarity ones? I was trying to keep my diamond cost below $4,000 but $4,300 for a 1ct seems like a pretty good bargin assuming I don't see something terribly wrong with the diamonds. White Flash has a life time 100% trade up (assuming the stone isn't damaged of course) so I was thinking I should start with a higher quality diamond and I can always upgrade later on for a high quality 1ct or larger stone.

Finally, given that I am equally happy with the color, brilliance and clarity of the stones but I have to choose one, should I simply go with the diamond that has a larger length and width? (Which should look bigger when viewed face up, right?)

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their information and experience. I have learned a ton of information since reading through the posts on this forum.

Take care,

Brian Berger

Looks like you've got the right idea here. As long as it's AGS-0 you'll be happy with the brilliance of your diamond. It's the best cut you can get (very few qualify for it) and cut affects brilliance the most, as you probably already know. The more brilliant it is, the more people will notice which is good for you also. I'd say check out Excel Diamond's selection but Whiteflash is local to you, which is probably best because you can go down and see the selection for yourself.

As for the other 3 C's... If you ask almost any girl what's most important they'll probably say carat (despite the fact that smaller carat diamonds can often outshine larger carat diamonds). When a girl gets engaged the first thing her girlfriends ask when they see the ring is "how many carats?" or "how big is it?" Size matters (to an extent, some smaller girls may not want it too big because it overcomes her hand.)

However, "I" color grade is where you can start to notice the yellow seeping in (though you can barely notice it.) My personal tolerance for color is H color and above. And the two 1 carat diamonds you listed are both "I" color. But you can really only notice the color difference when placing a "F" color diamond next to the "I" color diamond, both face down. And better cut diamonds can look like they have better color if looking at it face up, so the difference will probably not be noticable, especially when mounted.

color.jpg

So you'll have to weigh the benefits of having a slightly larger stone with the benefits of slightly better color, which is best to do while looking at the stones in person. My guess is your girlfriend would probably appreciate the 1 carat diamonds more, although you might like the better color one more.

As far as clarity goes, I personally don't care what the clarity grade is as long as it's eye-clean. Obviously the VS clarity ones will be eye-clean but the SI ones might not necessarily be eye-clean. The smaller the inclusions are the less interference they will have with the light reflections though. Clarity is graded by looking through the top. You will not find any SI stones that are eye-clean from the side, I'm not sure if the VS clarity ones will even be eye-clean from the sides. There are some inclusions you will want to prefer over other though. Feathers around the girdle, twining wisps, graining issues should probably be avoided if all things are similar in another stone but without those types of inclusions for a similar price. Stay away from feathers in the corners of a princess cut.

When you see the diamonds in person, you'll notice how subtle the differences are. There's not a huge different between .75 carat and 1 carat (it's impossible for the average naked eye to even perceive a difference of less than .2 mm, and the difference in diameter between the 1 carat and .75 carat is only about .5 mm), there's not a huge difference between F color and I color (and no real noticable difference between D and F color), and not a huge difference between VS and eye-clean SI clarity (need a loupe to see). The differences are there, but very subtle and often unnoticeable unless the are placed right next to each other and you start looking at them with magnification. There can be a huge differece in cut quality, but you've got you bases covered there.

Edited by H and A

H and A,

Thank you for your detailed reply. My future fiancee and I will be going to Houston this Thursday to view the engagement ring and wedding band and make a decision on the diamond. White Flash has been very accomodating and even notified me that their VP would not be available for an appointment on the day I requested in case I wanted to reschedule.

I was fortunate that my fiancee's desire to be suprised was finally overcome by her curiosity to know what she was going to get after I spent the last 3 to 4 weeks researching this purchase. I am going to leave it up to her if she wants to go the "bigger is better" route or "better quality but smaller is best".

I did some research on the Gem Appraisers website for understanding how to read Idealscope and ASET pictures. Do you know of any other resources for additional information?

Thanks,

Brian

I wasn't aware that AGA had information on their site about either of those topics. Can you give us a lilnk to what you read please?

The manufacturer of ideal scope is www.ideal-scope.com

The manufacturer of ASET is www.agsaid.com

I would start there. Whiteflash has quite a bit of information on interpreting the various images they provide. Did you surf through their tutorial section?

Neil

You're welcome BrianB. Also keep in mind shrinkage... once they get used to it the diamond always looks a bit smaller to them than it did at first. Happened to my fiance. Sometimes they get something that seems just the right size but then a few months afterwards they get disappointed they didn't get bigger. I got it a bit bigger than she was asking for and at first she was worried she'd look like she was playing dress up, but now she says I could've even gone bigger than I did. If it's AGS-0, you won't need to worry so much about ASET scope, AGS has already checked that for you. Often you'll see diamonds that scored AGS-001 instead of triple zeros, that means the ASET scope outcome wasn't quite ideal.

Edited by H and A

I've been reading about the shrinkage factor which is why I want to give her the option of going with the larger 1 ct stone if that is what strikes her fancy. Thanks for the informatoin on the ASET. I did find some additional info about the different colors and what they mean/represent.

I'll let everyone know how it goes on Thursday.

Take care,

Brian

I wasn't aware that AGA had information on their site about either of those topics. Can you give us a lilnk to what you read please?

The manufacturer of ideal scope is www.ideal-scope.com

The manufacturer of ASET is www.agsaid.com

I would start there. Whiteflash has quite a bit of information on interpreting the various images they provide. Did you surf through their tutorial section?

Neil

Ahh sorry Neil.

I didn't realize it was simply a link to another website. Here is how I got to the information using AGA's website: http://www.gemappraisers.com/idealscope.htm

H&A,

LOL, you were right on the money:

"So you'll have to weigh the benefits of having a slightly larger stone with the benefits of slightly better color, which is best to do while looking at the stones in person. My guess is your girlfriend would probably appreciate the 1 carat diamonds more, although you might like the better color one more."

If all goes well I should receive finished rings next week! I'll take some pictures and post them up.

Thanks again for all the help!

Take care,

Brian