Individual Diamond Studs

Thisbullet

Hello. I've been looking everywhere for the best prices on diamond studs. I am looking for a princess cut. And I am trying to stay under $500 for one stud. The problem is everywhere i look... ebay, mondera, ice, bluenile, etc. they are all for buying a set of two studs. I am only going to wear one stud in my left ear. I don't want to pay twice the money to have two diamonds of poorer quality rather than one excellent diamond. Here is what I have in mind for this one stud I am trying to find...

Under $500

D - I color

VVS1 - VS2 clarity

Ideal to Good cut

Princess shape

Something at least 1/3 carat

Platinum jewelry would be preferable

If some one could tell me where I can buy only one stud instead of a set that would be great. Even better if some one could point me to a site that offers these single stud sales that somewhat go with what i requested above I'd love that. If something needs to be changed a little from what i mentioned above to stay under $500 that will be alright. I just dont want to be stuck with a K rating color, I2 clarity, and fair cut. So please, I appreciate all the help. I am fairly new to this whole thing but I've done my reading and I just dont know how I can buy an individual stud instead of a set. Thanks so much! pearlies.gif

That shouldn’t be all that difficult a set of requirements. Go to the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ and play with the database a bit. Enter a few specs and them modify them, narrow down the ranges etc. until you get to the range you want. Depending on the mounting you want, a single stud in 14k white gold will cost in the neighborhood of $50-$100 plus the price of the stone. In platinum you will be in the range of $200 or more plus the stone. Given that, I would recommend you back off on the platinum requirement and spend your budget on the diamond.

That said, most jewelers, including the dealers here, are prepared to set up a single earring for you. Ring them up and ask ‘em.

Neil

When matching diamond studs, the most important element of all is the measurement, so you will need to supply us with this information. Another thing i want to bring to your attention is that you want these studs should look the most similar as possible so you would need to match the colors, you don't want one should be a D color and the other one a I color, so i think before you start looking for another stud find out all the specs of the first one. And then try looking around for a match.

When matching diamond studs, the most important element of all is the measurement, so you will need to supply us with this information. Another thing i want to bring to your attention is that you want these studs should look the most similar as possible so you would need to match the colors, you don't want one should be a D color and the other one a I color, so i think before you start looking for another stud find out all the specs of the first one. And then try looking around for a match.

the thing is i only want one. I have a hard time finding some one to sell me just one stud instead of a set. I dont have any studs yet.. this will be my first purchase of just one stud. I don't need to match anything. Could you help me find an individual stud maybe? thanks

This is actually much easier than it seems.. Stop looking at studs..

Just find a nice diamond that meets your requirements and any jeweler can set it in an earring stud for you..

Yep that's pretty much what I've been starting to do now. You'd think retailers would sell individuals but oh well... My only concern is how much will it cost for the stud (gold, whitegold, platinum etc...) and what do jewlers typically get paid to actually set it into the stud. So basically what would be the cost for the kind of diamond i want to be set, and what would the stud cost. Thanks so much :)

yes i could talk for myself, that would include setting the diamond, For platinum it would be around $75.00 more. Hope this helps.

Well that is good news. I was expecting it to be something rediculously priced thinking that maybe having a loose diamond and stud custom wasn't very common and would only be done with a very expensive diamond. So I will definetally hunt for a loose diamond that pleases me. I might stop by a local jewler to get an idea of sizes and how big .3 - .5 would look on my ear. It'd be nice to see the colors and reflective qualities in person too. I can't wait to get this diamond. I think it will be something that I will greatly appreciate and love.

yes i could talk for myself, that would include setting the diamond, For platinum it would be around $75.00 more. Hope this helps.

Well that is good news. I was expecting it to be something rediculously priced thinking that maybe having a loose diamond and stud custom wasn't very common and would only be done with a very expensive diamond. So I will definetally hunt for a loose diamond that pleases me. I might stop by a local jewler to get an idea of sizes and how big .3 - .5 would look on my ear. It'd be nice to see the colors and reflective qualities in person too. I can't wait to get this diamond. I think it will be something that I will greatly appreciate and love.

in addition to my previous reply... just thought of this. are fake diamonds stupid? What are the differences. From what I understand, there is a lot different under a 10x loupe and as far as what we see with the naked eye is maybe it isnt as reflective, will it yellow over time? and I hear that it will devalue. What do you guys think of fake diamonds. I am set on getting a real one but I am just curious about what else I am getting for my money other than it's value and the fact that it is real. thanks :)

It really depends on which "fake" you go with..

Generic CZs are pretty poor substitutes IMO.. But there are some very well cut CZs out and at least one CZ that is coated / infused with diamond that looks stunning.. The ASHA from www.betterthandiamond.com is very nice and the ladies that buy them swear by them..

CZs have little to no resale value..

If you are looking at man made diamonds, I'm not sure that you would be happy with the price savings at size you are looking at.. But I don't have a lot of experience with those so I can't really say much about them..

It really depends on which "fake" you go with..

Generic CZs are pretty poor substitutes IMO.. But there are some very well cut CZs out and at least one CZ that is coated / infused with diamond that looks stunning.. The ASHA from www.betterthandiamond.com is very nice and the ladies that buy them swear by them..

CZs have little to no resale value..

If you are looking at man made diamonds, I'm not sure that you would be happy with the price savings at size you are looking at.. But I don't have a lot of experience with those so I can't really say much about them..

I'm definetally going with a real diamond. Honestly I see people walking around with 1 ct CZs on each ear that I know and it just looks stupid. At least the real diamond will hold a value. If the fake ones were like 10 dollars for any size then that would be alright but they're still not cheap. I just want to know i have the best. thanks

Nope, don't agree at all.. Brad and Jan are good people..

And the price seems reasonable.. And, it's a rare thing indeed to see a small stone like that go to GIA.. As was pointed out, a GIA report could cost you $100.. That's 20% of the value of the stone.. Doesn't make sense to me to go that route and why in another thread I suggest that trust is primary and lab reposts secondary..

If you love the stone and a lab report (which is really only someone else's opinion and not a guarentee) makes the difference, be prepared to pay for the report and wait the month or so it will take to have it done..

Nope, don't agree at all.. Brad and Jan are good people..

And the price seems reasonable.. And, it's a rare thing indeed to see a small stone like that go to GIA.. As was pointed out, a GIA report could cost you $100.. That's 20% of the value of the stone.. Doesn't make sense to me to go that route and why in another thread I suggest that trust is primary and lab reposts secondary..

If you love the stone and a lab report (which is really only someone else's opinion and not a guarentee) makes the difference, be prepared to pay for the report and wait the month or so it will take to have it done..

Alright, I've had many people tell me to screw the GIA. So scratch that. What can i get set in 18k for around $450 shipped. I'll sacrifice some color and clarity if we need to;