Blue Nile

NaOH

Hi

Bluenile is well priced, and a overall great site. One thing that we other sites offer more then Bluenile is , we offer to email you images of the diamond you like so you are able to get a picture of how your diamond will look like, while Bluenile doesn’t offer this feature.

I bought my diamond from Blue Nile, and the setting at a local store. Blue Nile is the largest online dealer, which had some appeal to me because of how established they've become and the selection they have. However, they do this by a drop shipping method, meaning most of the diamonds in their virtual database are diamonds someone else owns and is selling. Although there's a competitive aspect of it which seems to drop prices, there also seems to be more room for things to go wrong with this method. But I got my diamond and it was everything I was hoping for (my appraiser agreed), and I don't see any stories out there of things going wrong with them (besides a few setting problems.) And I saved at least $1000.

If you want to be a little safer you can get one of their signature series diamonds. They are well cut diamonds Blue Nile actually has in stock, and along with the GIA or AGS report they also have a GCAL report you can view online with pics of the actual diamond on it. The signature series diamonds cost more though and you won't see any Brilliancescope reports or Idealscope images.

Edited by H and A

I bought my diamond from Blue Nile, and the setting at a local store. Blue Nile is the largest online dealer, which had some appeal to me because of how established they've become and the selection they have. However, they do this by a drop shipping method, meaning most of the diamonds in their virtual database are diamonds someone else owns and is selling. Although there's a competitive aspect of it which seems to drop prices, there also seems to be more room for things to go wrong with this method. But I got my diamond and it was everything I was hoping for (my appraiser agreed), and I don't see any stories out there of things going wrong with them (besides a few setting problems.) And I saved at least $1000.

If you want to be a little safer you can get one of their signature series diamonds. They are well cut diamonds Blue Nile actually has in stock, and along with the GIA or AGS report they also have a GCAL report you can view online with pics of the actual diamond on it. The signature series diamonds cost more though and you won't see any Brilliancescope reports or Idealscope images.

What sort of setting problems have people had? I was going to get a setting from them as well.

You can check out reviews customers have made on them here:

http://www.shopping.com/xMR-store+blue+nile~MRD-9101~S-1

Out of 234 reviews they've averaged 4 1/2 stars out of 5, which is pretty good considering most people who seek out those review sites are the ones who got burned and are looking for revenge. What I was most worried about was getting swindled, my girlfriend had worked in jewelry at a mall store for several years and even at the jewelry store there are incidents of stone switching now and then which made me (and her) kind of nervous ordering from an online entity and receiving it in the mail (then trusting the store not to switch it when mounting it.)

But amazingly there don't seem to be anyone reporting swindling problems with Blue Nile at least, though I'm sure it's possible which is why I brought my stone straight to an appraiser the day I got it and opened the box right front of him (he's certified to appear in court in case it wasn't what it was supposed to be) and right after it was mounted I brought it back to him again. The certificate number was inscribed on the girdle which made me breathe a little easier too.

The reviews on Blue Nile that were negative mostly seem to be from people who had setting issues (workmanship issues like diamond loose in the setting, resizing problems, rashes, etc.) I kind of figured it had to do with the volume of business they do, that their jewelers are probably not the most skilled and are probably rushed. When you eat at McDonalds, you don't expect your sandwhich to be prepared perfectly each time, as if a chef in a 5 star restaurant would. I'd been burned before by purchasing jewelry online that looked good in pics but not so good in person also, so we went and picked out a setting we both really liked in person.

On Forbes.com I read this about their operations, it kind of gives you an idea of what's going on there:

"Mark Vadon stands next to a small vault, transfixed, and begins to unfold delicate, blue-and-white tissue paper revealing a flawless, 3-carat Asscher cut diamond. "You learn to appreciate them--where they came from, who cut them. Every one of these has a story," he says, inspecting tiny, tiered facets cascading down the sides of the gem. Nearby, two dozen jewelers gently drop gleaming stones into engagement-ring settings, then solder them into place. "We want to be the Tiffany for the next generation.""

http://www.forbes.com/global/2004/1129/016_print.html

And here's a picture of their warehouse, from a NY Times article:

07NILE.2.190.jpg

A diamond is a diamond though, and as long as it is what it's certified to be, I'm happy. I ended up saving at least a thousand bucks and getting a stone of superior quality to what most stores have to offer (cut meets GIA Excellent, HCA Excellent, AGS ideal, and AGA ideal perameters, is F color and very eye clean, and shows pretty good hearts and arrows through a cheap viewer I got.)

Edited by H and A