Need An Opinion

billygoat

Hello, I have been doing some exhaustive research online and finally went to a few local places and looked at diamonds yesterday for about 4 hours. I chose a setting and decided on a round brilliant diamond. After all the back and forth, I had it narrowed down to one diamond and then saw one more that made me think a little.

Here are the comparisons:

1.) 1.16 CT.......Ideal Cut........G Color.........SI-1 Clarity.................this diamond looked great and I really liked it.

2.) 1.50 CT......AMAZING CUT.......Best cut I saw all day........J Color........SI-1 Clarity........this was a very large rock.......beautiful diamond......the cut was unbelievable.....

We walked around outside in the parking lot and compared the two rings. Myself, the salesperson and the stores diamond buyer........he said it was definately a J color and could show some tint since it is going to be a solitaire set ring and not with other diamonds. I couldnt see a big tint or anything like that, but he was honest with me and said I probably would notice it from time to time. But the cut and size was outrageously nice.

I went into the store thinking I was going to buy something about 1.50 ct.......so for me to go down to 1.16 ct, was a big mental step since I wanted a larger stone.........but the sales girl had hers on and it was 1.20 ct and it looked much bigger than I thought a 1.20 would look, so that kinda made me think I would rather have quality since hers looked pretty large.

The price of these two diamonds were about $300 apart and that is negligable at this point.

thoughts?

I put a $1500 deposit down and they are setting the diamond today and said I can switch it out at anytime if I change my mind.........

I want to emphasize that he said................."it is definately a "J" color"............and if I bought it that even if I didnt notice the tint now, I would.......

he seemed to know this particular stone very well, as when we were discussing price on the lower carat diamond and what I was initially looking for, he remember this particular one and said......."hold on, let me go find this one I know we have in the back".......he brought out the certificate with it and everything.........I do not in anyway believe he was trying to pull a fast one and sell me a diamond just to dump it .........he was very forthcoming in his opinion on this..........

Billy,

It sounds like you clearly like the J best and are trying to convince yourself otherwise. Why? There’s nothing inherently wrong with J as a color and most people like them if they can get past the name. The premise that D is better is completely unfounded. D is more expensive but ‘better’ is in the eyes of the wearer. For what it’s worth, my wife wears a J in her wedding ring and she loves it.

Go for the one that is ‘amazing, beautiful, unbelievable’. If that’s not the affect you’re looking for, what is?

Neil