Sun Jewelers?

star

I have been looking for a new ring for a few months. I have been married for 15 years and would like to purchase a bigger diamond. I found Sun Jewelers and am wondering if anyone has had experience with them - good or bad? I'm very apprehensive about making such a purchase online and their prices seem too good to be true. I worry about what I"m really getting. Any advice??

I have been looking for a new ring for a few months. I have been married for 15 years and would like to purchase a bigger diamond. I found Sun Jewelers and am wondering if anyone has had experience with them - good or bad? I'm very apprehensive about making such a purchase online and their prices seem too good to be true. I worry about what I"m really getting. Any advice??

The ring I'm looking at is set in 14kt white gold, princess cut center stone is .75 carats, entire ring is 1.65 with baguettes and two smaller princess cuts on either side of center stone - they are rated as Vs2 - Si1 with a color grade ranging from H-I. The center stone is Si2 and color grade of H. Stone cut is listed as "fine". The "suggested retail price" is listed as $7026 and the Sale Price is $2811!! I'm looking for a ring that has lots of sprakle and shine . . . not really too worried about inclusions that cannot be seen by the untrained eye or without putting under magnification. What are your thoughts?

The manufacturers suggestion of retail pricing is, of course, irrelevant. Apparently Sun is choosing to ignore that advice, as would every other dealer on earth. So should you.

Graded by whom?

SI2/H will often mean I1/I or less depending on who graded the stones and what grading scale they used. You can use the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ to search for comparable offers on the center stone. Depending on what you really have, the center stone seems to go for between $800 and $2000 here.

It still may be a lovely ring and it may be the right thing for you but if all the dealer has to say about why you should shop with them is that they can find a supplier who will make unrealistic pricing suggestions that they ignore, I wouldn’t call that much of a reason to shop there.

Neil

The manufacturers suggestion of retail pricing is, of course, irrelevant. Apparently Sun is choosing to ignore that advice, as would every other dealer on earth. So should you.

Graded by whom?

SI2/H will often mean I1/I or less depending on who graded the stones and what grading scale they used. You can use the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ to search for comparable offers on the center stone. Depending on what you really have, the center stone seems to go for between $800 and $2000 here.

It still may be a lovely ring and it may be the right thing for you but if all the dealer has to say about why you should shop with them is that they can find a supplier who will make unrealistic pricing suggestions that they ignore, I wouldn’t call that much of a reason to shop there.

Neil

I'm not sure who grades them . . . they do say they come with a certificate of authenticity from the Jeweler. It states that this appraisal certificate will be forwarded to me and can be used for insurance purposes and will state the weight, quality and retail replacement value of your merchandise.

They also state that an independent EGL certificate can be purchased at an additional cost for larger center diamonds, usually 1/2 carats and up.

I'm not sure who grades them . . . they do say they come with a certificate of authenticity from the Jeweler. It states that this appraisal certificate will be forwarded to me and can be used for insurance purposes and will state the weight, quality and retail replacement value of your merchandise.

They also state that an independent EGL certificate can be purchased at an additional cost for larger center diamonds, usually 1/2 carats and up.

If you can't figure out who graded them, afford the grading the same level of confidence you would to the advice of any other unknown and unidentifiable stranger. If you can figure out who it is, decide based on their credentials, experience and relationship to the seller whether their opinion is going to be useful to you.

Since we've already established that their graders pricing suggestions are unrealistic, it would be unwise to base an insurance contract on their advice. You'll pay 4x as much for your coverage and get nothing for the extra money.

Why did you choose this dealer and how did you pick this particular ring from their selections?

Neil

If you can't figure out who graded them, afford the grading the same level of confidence you would to the advice of any other unknown and unidentifiable stranger. If you can figure out who it is, decide based on their credentials, experience and relationship to the seller whether their opinion is going to be useful to you.

Since we've already established that their graders pricing suggestions are unrealistic, it would be unwise to base an insurance contract on their advice. You'll pay 4x as much for your coverage and get nothing for the extra money.

Why did you choose this dealer and how did you pick this particular ring from their selections?

Neil

I will try to find out who graded them and get back to you. I really found them by accident . . . just doing research on google for info. on diamonds and was led to their site. The ring design is exactly what I've been looking for and the pricing was most attractive. I would definitely feel more at ease if I could see it and try on before purchase. I plan to do more shopping locally before committing to this ring but highly doubt I'll find anything similar in this price range.

Print out the advertisement, including the price and all the various specs and show it to the jewelers where you're shopping to see if they are prepared to make you a better offer. You might want to post a link here and let some of the dealers who participate take a stab at it as well. Many of the manufacturers make some very similar designs to one another and often different dealers will even be representing the same manufacturers.

The grading and quality issue really is a pretty important topic. The best deal isn't the one the promises the most for the least. It's the one that delivers what you want for the least. Unfortunately these are often quite different.

Neil

I took your advice and printed out the info and brought it to a local jeweler. He said he could get me the same design. We'll see what the price ends up at but he said he could be competitive. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for all your help!!