Diamond Pricing

diamondhunt

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring and I came across a 2.02 carat round diamond that looks like a 3 carat diamond. It is GIA certified and the below are the specs:

Round

Cut=good

color = J

clarity = SI2

The table size is 8.5

I am not sure of the characteristics.

Does anyone know how much a diamond like this is worth?

'Looks like a 3 carat' generally means that it's cut very shallow, and therefore spread, and therefore has a bigger surface area than a stone that was cut for good optics. For most customers this trade off of brilliance for surface area isn't popular but it depends on what you are looking for. It does tend to drive down the prices and EVERYBODY is looking for that. :P

You can use the search box at the top of the page titled 'find online jeweler' to pull comparison offers, even if you have no intention of buying on line. 'good' cut will be near the least expensive end of the GIA graded comparable stones.

Have you seen the stone? Do you love it?

Neil

I agree with Neil- a 2 carat round looking like a three is bad news.

In the case of Fancy Shapes- such as Pear Shape , Emerald Cut, Radiant etc...There can be huge differences in size appearance between two stones- and both might be well cut

In the case of rounds, that does not apply.

Stones which are quite different in measurement from the norm are generally really badly cut.

AS you absolutely sure there's a GIA report for the diamond?

I agree with Neil- a 2 carat round looking like a three is bad news.

In the case of Fancy Shapes- such as Pear Shape , Emerald Cut, Radiant etc...There can be huge differences in size appearance between two stones- and both might be well cut

In the case of rounds, that does not apply.

Stones which are quite different in measurement from the norm are generally really badly cut.

AS you absolutely sure there's a GIA report for the diamond?

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I saw the GIA grading report and it said that it had a good cut, no flouresence and either the polish or symmetry was fair (dont remember which). Table is 63%

Does anyone know how much a diamond like this is worth?

Not without seeing it, but the fact is, even though this diamond may look beautiful to you, it is likely worth substantially less than a better cut 2.00 carat stone with the same color and clarity.

Edited by brianknox