Purchasing Diamonds Outside Of The Us

Porch

Hi! I am looking to take my fiancee on an international vacation to purchase our engagement ring. I was looking into going to Belgum or Duabi. I was wondering what the professionals thoughts are. Where is the best place to buy? I'm looking to purchase a 1.5+ ct princess and 2-- .8+ ct princess. I have great travel benefits with my company, I thought it would be fun. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Porch

In the age of FedEx and the Internet, the location of the diamond has remarkably little to do with it. A stone can travel from India, Israel, or Japan overnight for a few dollars and the information about it can fly instantaneously. The result is that the difference in prices are based primarily on dealer added value, local taxes, insurance and security concerns, etc. The US, and especially the Internet/discount type diamond sellers do well on this sort of issue.

Neil

As a person who lives by overnight shipping, I can see your point Neil...

However, once an international border is crossed, the shipment takes on an entirely different character.

We do ship all over the world- and have had to devote hundreds of man hours to such shipments.

The shipment of a Vivid Yellow that we sold in Monaco required about 8 hours of legwork and paperwork on our part.

The $4000 in taxes the buyer paid was a fraction of the difference in price for a comperable stone in his locale.

SO- it's possible to work internationally- but domestic is way preferable.

This is particualrly true for US buyers as there are so many reputable sources here.

Most international customers who wish to shop with online dealers in the US have very little difficulty with their shipments although the relationship with local customs officials is obviously something that is beyond the control of the dealers. Payment terms for international clients are usually slightly different but otherwise most dealers are very cooperative.

US customers who wish to shop overseas will generally have very little difficulty with US customs but will often find that because the transaction is governed by foreign laws that they may be unfamiliar with, they may have difficulty with some of the logistics, especially if there are problems. For the most part, shopping in Dubai, Belgium and similar countries that are thought to be sources for bargains goes fairly well. There are many fine stores in both countries but they are not working on a different pricing models. Their sources and dealer costs, especially for ‘new’ items from the cutters, are identical.

Neil