I See Carbon Spots!

Greg Y

I just purchased two stones online, 1.23c and 1.25c, GIA excellent, SI2, H color. Comparing the price I paid to what's listed in the online jewelers search, I paid about $300 more per stone, but I'm happy with the service I've had - very responsive to all my emails and phone calls (been working with them for a month).

So, they put them into earring settings for me, when I got them and looked at them in the light I can definitely see the black carbon spots, each one has about two very small black spots when looking at the rock from the top. Another person told me if I get SI2, I should not keep them if they have black carbon spots. On one hand, I know SI2 has visible inclusions, and these are stud earrings, but for a total of $11k I'm wondering if these types of inclusions will devalue the stone? Is that possible?

So my question is, what is your opinion about the black carbon spots? I'm contemplating returning them (7 day return policy) and dropping down to SI1 and GIA VG just so I don't see the black spots, I can live with GIA VG as opposed to GIA EX, from what I was told there isn't a big difference between the two, at least visibly.

Thanks for any and all help!

Hi Greg,

When judging clarity, it's absoulely essential to visually inspect the diamonds.

The reason is that a diamond's level of imperfection is responsible for the grade. NOT the visiblility of said imperfection.

So, a black spot in one area would be visible- put exactly the same imperfection in a different place on the hyperthetical diamond- and it's invisible.

It's fantastic that you are happy with the service- I agree that paying a couple hundred extra to get better service is reasonable.

I would have to say that the service you have a right to expect needs to include information.

The seller should have told you the diamonds were not eye clean.

There are plenty of eye clean SI2's- and plenty that aren't.

Did you see the imperfections in the photos they sent you?

It's unfortunate I stumbled across this sight just today after I already received the earrings last week, and I didn't realize I could request pictures. Now I know :P . On the other hand, he did mention to me early on in general that SI2 has visible inclusions, but when i asked him to pick a matching pair for me from a list of diamonds from his database, he didn't mention they were not "eye clean". So is it fair to say that a diamond dealer who's selling to a buyer over the internet who hasn't seen the diamond or requested pictures would tell the buyer it's not eye clean? Or would a dealer just not say anything, since the buyer hasn't asked? Is this a don't-ask-don't-tell scenario?

Sounds as if this dealer was selling you off a "Virtual List" supplied to him by the manufacturer and that the diamonds were never actually seen nor examined by the vendor you were working with but actually drop-shipped directly to you by the wholesaler. Caveat Emptor.

This explains the absence of photos and his very general and non-specific description of these diamonds.

David is correct: SI clarities are not equivalent. There are face up eye clean SI's and there are boogers in your face SI's. You appear to have purchased the latter.

Eye visible detection of SI inclusions depends on their location, size, and color, as well as the Cut Quality of the diamond. The better the cut of the diamond the less likely you will be able to detect inclusions.

White and wispy off to the side inclusions will blend in with the gestalt of the stone and be invisible to your eye, whereas center black carbon spots or even one black carbon near the the bottom of the stone will reflect and bounce off adjacent facets making it appear as if there are tons of inclusions.

If you're unhappy and still within your return period, you can certainly make the return and ask this vendor to supply you with information such as photos and a personal examination of the diamonds before you actually make the purchase.

Eye clean SI's and even I-1 clarity diamonds do exist. You need to ask the questions and the vendor to supply the answers.

Edited by barry

Thanks David and Barry. THe return address on the fedex package is his store address, maybe he just assumed they black spots were OK since they were earrings. But his diamond database is humongous, so they very well could have been drop shipped. These are GIA stones, SI-2, and maybe i'm being really picky about these inclusions. He did offer to take them back, so I'll continue to decide if I want to return them or not. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Greg Y

It's unfortunate I stumbled across this sight just today after I already received the earrings last week, and I didn't realize I could request pictures. Now I know :P . On the other hand, he did mention to me early on in general that SI2 has visible inclusions, but when i asked him to pick a matching pair for me from a list of diamonds from his database, he didn't mention they were not "eye clean". So is it fair to say that a diamond dealer who's selling to a buyer over the internet who hasn't seen the diamond or requested pictures would tell the buyer it's not eye clean? Or would a dealer just not say anything, since the buyer hasn't asked? Is this a don't-ask-don't-tell scenario?

SI2 "in general" has black spots?

In general cars stop at red lights- but I certainly look before stepping onto the curb.

I guess I get a bit heated over this stuff becasue I think someone selling an expensive item- such as a diamond- has a responsibility to disclose the fact they are selling blind.

Did you ask the seller straight out if he'd seen the diamonds?

No I didn't ask him if he had seen them himself, I just assumed he did. I also learned a lot these past two days just by researching this forum, I assumed all 9,000 diamonds in his database were in his vault LOL.

SHort story is I'm returning the stones and asking for a refund. I guess I thought I knew enough about internet shopping for diamonds when I really didn't, I need to do more research and take advantage of all the knowledge on this board. Once I do this I'll venture out again, but as a better shopping.

Just an FYI, I'm actually a returning customer for this guy, he picked out two side stones for me which were verified by a local jeweler as "great looking", but they were SI-1, so I guess by definition you couldn't see any flaws anyways? Regardless I'm going to shop around some more this time.

... I'm wondering if these types of inclusions will devalue the stone? Is that possible?

Hi,

For diamond professionals, there is no question that SI diamonds with eye-visible inclusions are less valuable/desirable than SI diamonds that are eye-clean.

Brian

Edited by brianknox

Greg Y-I have to say that I've been following this thread and while you may have asked after the sale, you asked in time to do something about it. You are a pretty astute buyer, you're asking the right questions and quick to learn from experience.