Clarity Enhanced Diamonds

911ace

Hi, I am looking at a Clarity enhanced round diamond that shows F color, Clarity VS2, 2.50 carats. It is priced at $11500. Obviously a cheap price.

I asked if the diamond was cracked or fractured, and they said that the treatment was done on the open inclusion(?)

Question that I have is that does it mean that without the enhancement, would the clarity be way below VS2?

If I am not too concern about the resale value, is this something that I should consider?

Thank you for your help!!

Ace911

The standard GIA grading scale doesn’t apply to clarity enhanced stones so it will depend on what the person who called it ‘VS2’ meant by that. The whole point of adding the filling was to make the stone look better so, presumably, it did some good or they wouldn’t have done it. How much good depends on the details of the stone and there’s no way to tell without looking at it.

Shopping for CE diamonds is a different process than shopping for untreated stones. As I mentioned above, VS2-CE does not mean the same thing as VS2 and it’s a mistake to be comparing prices between these two categories. It’s like comparing a used Subaru (I just bought one a few months ago and love it by the way) with a new Mercedes and observing that they have some similar attributes and that the later is more expensive. That’s all true enough but largely irrelevant. If you want a used car, there’s certainly no problem with getting one but do your comparison with other, similar, used cars or you’re sure to get skinned.

You describe the offered stone as being an obviously cheap price, and it may well be but what were you using for comparison when you came to this conclusion?

Neil

I asked if the diamond was cracked or fractured, and they said that the treatment was done on the open inclusion(?)

Sounds like they maybe sidestepped your question, also sounds like the diamond is fracture filled (open inclusion is a pretty big hint)

Any jeweler that deserves your business is going to go out of their way explaining exactly how any given diamond has been enhanced.

Question for Neil.

Hi Neil,

Have you ever seen a fracture filled diamond that could receive a VS rating from GIA (if that was possible) ?

Brian

Hey Everyone!

Brian, I know you asked Neil, but I have seen a stone which was filled that might have made VS2 by GIA grading standards.

Of course it did have that weird haziness to it........

Ace- I'd definitely skip the "filled diamonds"

I'm a fan of natural- even if they have a spot you could see.....

The diamond I'd seen with the tiny fill was years ago.

Today the market for filled diamonds is established.

It's a low end market.

Stones that are desirable VS2 diamonds don't get filled.

Last month a dealer was by with an amazing parcel of really cheap 1/2 carat diamonds.

I'm talking diamonds of about half carat that we could sell for about $500 each.

His destination: A filler, to "Fracture fill the diamonds"

They'll probably sell for more than the $500 we'd have had to ask.

Of course the diamonds , as they were, showed a lot of imperfection to the naked eye.

I liked them because they were sparkly- nice for earrings.

After filling they might be cleaner to the eye, but they'll surely loose some of their sparkliness.

Question for Neil.

Hi Neil,

Have you ever seen a fracture filled diamond that could receive a VS rating from GIA (if that was possible) ?

Brian

Brian,

I’ve seen some CE stones that are truly remarkable. The reason you see so few high clarity ones in the market has more to do with the economics of the marketplace than with the ability of the companies doing the filling. Yehuda is very good at what they do.

I-2’s are pretty tough to sell, especially if there are some major eye visible inclusions. There are plenty of customers who quite reasonably choke on the price of natural stones but don’t want to compromise by either getting something ugly or by getting a diamond substitute. CE offers a palatable compromise. They can buy an I-2 that looks sort of like an SI-2 while still paying the I-2 price with a slight premium added for the fill. The seller moves a stone that was otherwise impossible, the buyer gets a fairly attractive stone at a price point they can live with. Everybody wins as long as the dealer is properly representing what is going on. The dynamics change drastically when you get in the higher grades.

A hypothetical VS2 that has had the bearding filled to make it look like a VS1 would be wickedly difficult to detect and easy for the fillers to do. The problem is that people who buy VS1’s would never tolerate a CE stone. This leaves the seller with the choice of selling it without a grading report at all and not mentioning the fill, using a lab that can’t tell the difference, accepting a report with ‘enhanced’ printed on it from a 2nd tier lab, or leave it alone and sell it as a VS2. The first two are illegal and the third is ineffective so sensible dealers choose the 4th - leave it alone. A VS1-CE wouldn’t command a premium over an untreated VS2 or even an SI1 so it’s not worth their money and effort to do it. It might actually make the stone more difficult to sell.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser