Diamond Pricing

dsteinaz

I havent purchased a diamond for several years but I recall the dealer using the Rappaport Sheet in order to give an idea of pricing. I havent noticed anyone mentioning the Rap Sheet on the various web forums. Is it not used anymore? If its still around, is it useful for stone comparison? Thanks, Dean

Hi Dean,

Yes, the Rap list still exists and jewelers still try to use it as a selling tool to demonstrate that you are getting a good price. It’s even more of a trap now than it was 10 years ago because so many people are trying to buy diamonds based on a few of the stats off the grading report without actually looking at the stone. A stone with a Rap price of $5000 might reasonably sell for $7000, or it might only be worth $2000 depending on details that aren’t included in the matrix. It’s useful for what it is and most serious diamond dealers subscribe to it but as a consumer tool it causes more harm than good. You’ll get better comparison information if you shop the online databases for actual offers of actual stones, a procedure that wasn’t readily available 10 years ago.

You can read about or subscribe to the Rap sheet there:

www.rapaport.com

Neil