Is This A Good Ring/stone/deal?

sosh

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if this ring looks ok?

Diamond .29 Carat, Clarity SI1, Colour H, Cut round

set in a 14 Carat gold ring

Price 4000 PLN (about $1350)

I've taken a look at it, and it certainly looks nice, but I really am alittle clueless here!

Thanks,

S

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if this ring looks ok?

Diamond .29 Carat, Clarity SI1, Colour H, Cut round

set in a 14 Carat gold ring

Price 4000 PLN (about $1350)

I've taken a look at it, and it certainly looks nice, but I really am alittle clueless here!

Thanks,

S

Where are you from since the currency is unfamiliar to me? And I think it would help others to help you to know that as well since the price of diamonds varies by country.

Hi,

There is absolutely no way anyone can even come close answering your question without at least a little more information and maybe an image of the setting.

Is the stone accompanied by a grading report? From which grading lab?

Are there additional details on the grading report, if there is one?

Is the ring a solitaire or does it have sidestones as well?

The overal thickness and width of the shank will factor into the cost of the setting.

Is it a basic setting design or something with a little more detail?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of your questions:

- The currency is ZÅ‚otych, the country Poland.

- I don't know much about the grading report at the moment I'm afraid.

- It's a solitaire

- The shank looks of average thickness. Near the stone it is thin when viewed from the top but tall when viewed from the side.

- It is a basic design

- The setting is something like a 'crown' with solid walls with small holes in it.

Is that enough to give a good guess? Thanks!

Different markets will vary quite a bit from time to time and from place to place. The big differences are retailing costs and taxes. In particular, the initial location of the stone is close to irrelevant. A cutter who can get a few percent more by shipping to Poland, Russia, Japan, Belgium or wherever will have no problem doing it. I’m not prepared to discuss the key issues with regard to Poland because I just don't know the market there but I’ll try to give you an idea of the procedure.

In the US, a plain 14k gold ‘solitaire’ style mounting costs about $100. About half of this is metal cost.

Sizing and setting a stone that size will be about $50.

The cost of gold is a worldwide commodity and doesn’t change much but the cost of labor and retail markups will change from place to place and the US is rarely the cheapest in these areas. In any case, this is only about 10% of your budget so let’s concentrate on the diamond.

Start at the link at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’. Play with the specs a bit and see what you find. The resultant list is a bunch of offers for stones that are superficially similar. Pick a GIA graded stone towards the expensive end of your range and use it for price comparison purposes (you can sort by price by clicking on the column header). With your budget, I think you’ll end up at at about a half carat for a round SI1/G.

I have no idea if the dealers here are cooperative to shipping to Poland and if FedEx or some other company offers a reliable and insured shipping method but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if some of the dealers have experience with it. Ask 'em. Without too much effort you should be able to come up with a firm offer for both a stone and a ring, including shipping. Ring up the customs office and ask them how much the import taxes will be. Now you’ve got something to shop with.

Armed with a printout of the above offer, pay a visit to your local jeweler. If there is a domestic mail/Internet style business consider shopping with them as well. They may be competitive and there is some real value in having a dealer that’s close to home, especially if you find it necessary to return or exchange something.

Pay attention to cutting and grading accuracy in your competitive offers. The difference in price between an SI1/G and an SI2/I is considerable and not all labs use these grading terms the same way. Stick with lab graded stones and stick with the same lab when comparing. The difference between excellent cutting and fair can be as much as 50% (and well worth it by the way).

If you can’t find a local dealer with a competitive offer, consider the Internet dealers from America. European customers are discovering this in droves. If the taxes are significant, consider getting a US based appraisal before you ship through customs because if you need to make a return, it’s often very difficult to get your tax money back even if the dealer is cooperative.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi Sosh,

We've never shipped to Poland- I could not answer the local tax queston.,

Is there a way to call a government office to find out the cost of duties and taxes on a local purchase?

Since you've looked at the diamond- is it very sparkley- a lot of life?

You could buy a larger good quality diamond from a US supplier for $1350- but if the local taxes and duties are very high, and you lkike the diamond, and seller- it might make sense to go ahead.....

Based on just looking at our listed inventory it seems that you could probably do better by buying overseas. This is assuming the $1400 you quoted is in US dollars.

We have shipped to many international localities. While the shipping and insurance costs vary based on the value of the purchase and te exact delivery location I would say approximately $100 US (excluding duties and taxes) is pretty average to expect for shipping and insurance from the vendor, for what you are considering.

I did a quick google search and found the following regrading duties and taxes:

Poland

TARIFF RESOURCES: April 2006 Tariff Schedule from the International Customs Tariff Bureau or European Union Customs Web Site

TAX: In most cases, Value Added Tax (VAT) is payable at a rate of 22%.

I'd certainly recommend you contacting your local customs office to confirm the % you might expect to pay for a diamond jewelry purchase.

An AGS Ideal cut 0.3 ct H SI1 set in a simple 14 gold setting is approximately $700, plus $100 shipping and 22% duties and taxes is approximately $1,000.00 total.

I hope that helps a bit.