Help With Choosing A Diamond..

keldrin

I have spent the past few weeks learning about diamonds and trying to get the best possible diamond for my budget as an engagement ring. The setting I have chosen takes a .40 carat diamond and up so I have been looking at diamonds of this size under $2000.

I originally decided to buy this one based on what I had learned:

Price: $1,924 USD

Carat weight: 0.44

Cut: Signature Round

Colour: E

Clarity: VVS1

Depth %: 61.1%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 4.91 x 4.94 x 3.01 mm

I wanted VVS2, E, and Ideal cuts. After reading more about the clarity though, I see that most people are saying that a person cannot tell the difference between VS2 and up with the naked eye. After reading this I began looking at dimaonds with lower clarity ratings, and found that the prices were significantly less. I found the diamond below which is quite similar to the one above save for the clarity. The measurements are less than one mm difference and the carat is only slightly less. Since my girlfriend is not going to be examining her ring with a microscope anyways, is there really any sense in going for greater than VS2? The only other thing that I see here though is that the diamond below is Very Good polish, as opposed to Excellent... is this a noticable difference?

Price: $988 USD

Carat weight: 0.41

Cut: Ideal

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 60.5%

Table %: 59%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Thin to medium

Measurements: 4.82 x 4.84 x 2.92 mm

Also I want to make sure that what I have read is correct...

Table should be about ??? - Some sites say 59%, others say mid fifties

Depth should be about 60-62%?

Flourescence should be none if colour is better than G?

Gurdle should be thin to medium?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Edited by keldrin

In the ‘classic’ AGS grading system, the table should be 53%-57%. Depth isn’t one of their variables but it generally lands between 59%-62% on well cut stones. With the current AGS definitions, the tables can get a little bigger but there are quite a few variables beyond what you’ve listed.

In the GIA system, the table can get as high as 62% and still be graded excellent.

People generally buy VVS clarity for symbolic reasons. No, there isn’t a visible difference between IF and VS2 without using magnification.

Faint to medium fluorescence has no affect on appearance in normal lighting conditions and has no affect on price. If you don’t like it, it’s easy to avoid, if you like it it’s relatively easy to find.

Thin to slightly thick girdles are fine and both GIA and AGS will give it their top grade if the other parameters support it.

Watch out for unsupported terms like 'ideal' and 'signature round'. Not everyone uses these in the same way. Ask you dealer for a detailed explanation of what THEY mean by using them.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks for the tips! I have rethought my diamond a bit and I think I have decided on this one:

Price: $1,121 USD

Carat weight: 0.46

Cut: Ideal

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 61.9%

Table %: 54%

Symmetry: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thin to medium

Measurements: 4.99 x 5.02 x 3.10 mm

Here is the GIA report: http://www.bluenile.ca/certs/2049/GIA15440939_zoom.jpeg

The cloud bit worried me a bit, but I read on this forum that a cloud is not detectable without high magnification. I am ordering off bluenile which seems to be highly recommended based on the reviews I have read. Does this sound like a good diamond??

Hi Keldrin,

Sonds like you;ve narrowed down well!

I tagree that E/VS2 is a great balance of color/clarity.

It's not likely a VS2 cloud would ever be a problem.

No question Blue Nile is the biggest- but there are other sellers that will actually show you the diamond.

Plus, many of the other well thought of internet sellers offer other benfits such as a trade up policy....

Keldrin, may I ask if you ordered a ring with your diamond or are you planning on using a local jeweller to set it?

If you ordered the ring on blue nile too , did you have any trouble choosing? I have found that rings I see online look totally different when I go into the store and see them first hand.

I purchased the ring and diamond from blue nile. Following setting:

http://www.bluenile.ca/design.asp?add=1&am...amp;ring_size=6

You have me worried now that the ring will look different from this picture! All the reviews I read about this setting and blue nile in general were very positive. I am suppose to get the ring next thursday so I guess I will just have to wait and see. They have a 30 day return policy so if I don't like it then I guess I can return it and look elsewhere (would kind of ruin my proposal plan though as we are going to Niagara Falls at the end of the month and I was planning it there).

I was not planning on a diamond trade up... do you think this one is too small??? We are planning to buy a house in a few months so I really can't afford more right now but she would like to be engaged before we buy...

Hi,

I've not seen diamond lovers write a lot of positive things about BN.

I always caution folks that buying blind is a risky thing to do. It's a simple ring, but once you see the diamond, it may not be to your liking.

All the best sellers offer money back guarantees.

As far as trade up: One does not always know at the time of purchase that a trade up may be in the cards down the road.

Best of Luck!