Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
deanhiggins

uncertain about diamond quotes on this site

I have looked at a lot of diamonds, but have been unable to find any close to the average quoted prices on price research. In some cases, the stores are selling the stone @ 50% more than the quotes I find on this site. I have yet to find a diamond that is consistent with these quoted prices. Bringing up these differences has yet to give me any bargaining power with the jewelers. Also, when I bring up the rappaport report, some dealers have even dicredited this document. How accurate is this report? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks, Dean

Dean, where are you doing your shopping, and for what type of diamond? The Price Research report is generated from actual diamond sales to actual consumers as well as from actual quotes offered by Internet jewelers.

I suggest you bring printouts of this site, from Rappaport, from PriceScope.com, and from DiamondHelpers.com. Although there will be some variation, the fact that all 4 sources report a certain range will give you the leverage you need to obtain reasonable prices.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Dean,

Don't expect retail stores in your area to compete with internet prices. Many won't. They do have overhead of sales people, inventory and advertising to make a profit, and let's face it if they don't make a profit they won't be around. There are some internet companies with a physical store as well. What location are you in? We are in Florida and we compete on the internet with all the sites and have a store as well offering all the services of a store but with very competitive internet price. ( too competitive I guess as we have been removed from some of the price comparison lists) Lists such as pricescope, will give you a good start, but there are better prices out there. You just have to look.

Jan

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

Thanks for the advice. I have been shopping for a round diamond between .50 and .70. As far as quality, I have been trying to stay around G color and SI1 clarity. I have looked in many stores in Cincinati. I have managed to stay away from the mall stores.

Guest Guest

There are lots of great prices on the internet. Do watch out for some of the lowest. I know a guy who spent about $8-10,000 for a ring for his girlfriend. The price was rockbottom with a 5-7 day return policy on a beautiful diamond. Unfortunately, his girlfriend turned down the proposal which was a terrible surprise. He was a little past the 5-7 days when he asked her and the store would not give him his money back. Since the jewelers were buying on memo from the cutter, they had already had to pay the cutter and didn't have the cash/want to give him a break and return his money. Sometimes you get the deal you pay for.

The main thing to look for is make sure that the diamond has a GIA or AGS lab report and if you want something that really sparkles look for an ideal cut or ideal cut with hearts and arrows.

As the unregistered person above said, make sure that you want to get engaged first. Even stores in your area may not refund after the refund date due to that fact that your fiance' didn't accept. Most stores don't sell on a contingency clause of acceptance.

Jan

Jan

dbof.com

Guest Guest

Agreed, but....in the event that some unforseen event should happen, it's nice to know that the jeweler is kind enough to work things out. Death happens too. In this case it wouldn't have mattered if my friend's girlfriend had died in a car wreck. He would still be stuck holding the diamond and out $10,000. Even if the jewelers were nice (which they really weren't), they didn't have the money to refund him which is so pathetic. I'd gladly pay a few percent more to a better established dealer who will always be there and has more leeway.

Here is a good scenario:

What if the internet/jeweler offered to sell the diamond for his client so he can recoup most of his expenses?

Example:

Consumer finds interest in a stone. Asks jeweler to send it to an appraiser with no money down. Appraiser holds stone for 2 weeks or more while he does his tests. Appraiser charges $125/ ct. Everything is to his liking and he sends a mounting from another vendor for the stone to be set in . The jeweler, sets the stone at no charge and sends the ring out with still another 7 days inspection. No charges for shipping. The card is run and Mastercard/Visa takes their 2.19%.

Consumer contacts jeweler after the inspection period has expired saying that he is not sure that the engagement is going to go through. Jeweler offers to sell the ring for the client. Isn't that fair?

Here is a question, should the appraiser that also spent time evaluating the stone return his $125/ct fee plus shipping also????

Jan

Jan

dbof.com

Jan said: "Lists such as pricescope, will give you a good start, but there are better prices out there. You just have to look"

Jan, Thank you for referring to Pricescope.com. I guess it gives a good

idea on prices. Here are three pricing examples from your site and revealed by Pricescope engine for THE SAME STONES:

Your site:

1. AGS-RD-0.77-G-VS1-5.88 A.G.S IDEAL H&A -62.10-56-$3985

2. AGS -RD-1.53-E-VS1-7.42 AGS IDEAL H&A -62.40-54-$17500

3. AGS -RD-2.12-F-VS1-8.33 AGS IDEAL H&A -61.00-57-$28100

USA Certed Diamods (reveled by Pricescope):

1. 0.77-G-VS1-62.1%-56%-AGS-1.2-1.9%-5.88MM AGS0 H&A-$3946

2. 1.53-E-VS1-62.4%-54%-AGS-1.0-1.7%-7.42MM AGS0 H&A-$17353

3. 2.12-F-VS1-61%-57%-AGS-0.7-1.2%-8.33MM H&A AGS-$28090

You are right it is possible to get even better prices and there are many dealers who "guarantee the best price". Another have high margins but they are proud of their exceptional services.

Obviously as much information and options buyers will have as better.

btw, Pricescope now has a summary table for additional services offered by vendors: www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp

I believe DiamondReview and Pricescope are helping consumers not to be defenseless when buying diamonds and give them data to negotiate the price.

Gee Leonid,

Are you satisfied with not listing our prices? As I said before you are comparing wire prices to non wire prices. We offer another 2% discount for wire transfers. But you already know this. You would think that you should be busy enough with your own site instead of sitting around on other sites trying to direct traffic to yours and your advertiser.

Jan

Jan

dbof.com

Guest Guest

It appears to me that the jeweler should help you out. If they sold a diamond on such a slim margin and it's a fine quality, why not give a refund. Your sure to sell it again soon. Maybe the margin wasn't all that close, or the diamond isn't as easy to sell as they pretended it was. I would have to agree with the statement they should help.