Posting of photos

WebGal

Hermann, I'm still having a problem posting photos. Not all the time but today I am. Anyone else having that issue? You know what a madwoman picture posting fool I am. This is a serious handicap!

WebGal

Hermann, I'm still having a problem posting photos. Not all the time but today I am. Anyone else having that issue? You know what a madwoman picture posting fool I am. This is a serious handicap!

WebGal

Thanks for reminding me of this, I will look at it right away and get back to you with whatever I find.

No matter what happens, we can't get in the way of the picture-posting madwoman!! :-)

Ok, I think this is fixed. The issue appears to have been that the bonehead default is to disallow no more than 1MB worth of attachments by any one person. As we all know, a single photo can sometimes exceed that. I got rid of the limit and put other protections in place to prevent abuse. Do note however that there is still a 2MB limit on each attachment; this is imposed by PHP and this software.

Looking back at the list of issues when we first switched to the new software, denverappraiser complained of apostrophes not showing up correctly. While they do display correctly on my computer, I changed the character-set to UTF-8 (Unicode) to see if that works better. Please let me know if you see any problems at all with messages being displayed funny.

Also, while looking through all the different configuration options (there are hundreds!), I enabled "topic ratings". This allows folks to rate threads that are more useful. I've seen a lot of useful information posted by the regulars over the years, and this may turn into a good way to make sure that information gets the highest possible visibility by our visitors. To rate a topic, look for the 5 stars at the top right of the topic, and click on the rating. I went ahead and rated this topic as "5 stars" as an example.

As always, please let me know if you have any comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. While limitations in the software sometimes prevent me from addressing every concern, I always do what I can.

Oh, and Happy New Year all!

Hermann

Thanks Hermann,

The apostrophe problem seems to have been fixed. Thanks. I don't see a gallery to post photos to. Where does this appear? I also don't see anywhere that a user can rate a particular post or thread. Perhaps these things are set so that only users of a certain level, like Admin, can see them.

Neil

Look at the top left of the page, underneath the magnifying glass. There are two links there, one labeled "Forum" (which is this), and the other labeld "Gallery".

One thing I may consider doing if the Gallery appears to be a good idea, is to add it as its own tab in the main navigation.

As for the rating, it should appear on the top right of the over topic/thread box, next to the "Options" pull down.

I saw gallery but when I went back I had yet another blonde moment, they increase with age. I did not see it that time around although I had been obsessed. I'll look again when I am not swamped with David's diamond buying sprees. But now that you mention it again, I'll be putting my shameless promotion skills along with my marketing "ho" attitude to work on that one.

I would like everyone to rate EVERY LAST thread I've posted in as a 5 STAR post. If you don't comply, I may have to hold your pet hostage! How's that for fair and unbiased? I might have to give Neil 5 stars for the blue hair on WF's head. Now that is key valuable diamond buying info.

And I wasn't posting near to 1MB of photos although it may look like it. All my computer pics are optimized and most under 20kbs. But these forums put tight reins on photos for default. Naturally, that goes against the nature of a picture posting madwoman. But I will give it a try. I can hardly avoid not giving it a try since picture posting is an addiction.

UTF code 8. That works for me. Apostophes seem to be up to Neil's standards now. I think you must have been using the lesser, UTF 7. Shame on you.

The voting is apparently only available on whole threads, not individual sagelike posts. I"m not sure this is a very useful feature. It's hard to figure out how to vote and I'm not sure the groupthink approach will produce the most valuable results. If it's not too much trouble, it might be worthwhile if the admin rates things that are supposedly useful but this becomes a bit of an intrusion unless you find that you need to moderate each thread anyway. Naturally, any thread where I've typed more than 500 words or either David or Webgal have posted more than 5 pictures could get a 5* rating without bothering to read it.

edited to test editing.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

If it's not too much trouble, it might be worthwhile if the admin rates things that are supposedly useful but this becomes a bit of an intrusion unless you find that you need to moderate each thread anyway.

This sounds like work!! :rolleyes:

Plus, I 100% agree that I don't want to impose my ratings/thoughts on the whole community.

Right now, anyone can rate anything. That seems to be the best approach beside message-level ratings. However I could also make it so that only people with certain "standing" (i.e. number of posts, Verified Jewelers, etc.) could rate the topic.

Other thoughts?

Webgal, thanks for posting a few photos in the Gallery.

Feedback? Does this seem worthwhile? Maybe if I could somehow get some of the images to show up in a more prominent area, so people could see them?

I don't think the voting feature is useful and I think it will provide an unnecessary distraction.

RE: the gallery

What are you imagining the usefulness of this will be?

It can serve as a repository for various dealer advertisements, which is fine, but this can become a problem as things get sold and the gallery becomes a collection of things that formerly were available but no longer are, which could be frustrating to shoppers.

I posted a comment on one of Webgal's photos and it said it won't appear without authorization. This will prevent any forum like discussion of the gallery, which may be the point but if so, I would simply disable the comment feature.

Neil

I agree that I wouldn't want to see it become an advertising channel.. But I can see the fun in posting some cool things or unique things that we have made.. This was a big year for us in high end color and I'd love to share pictures of some of the pieces.. The 1.64ct natural blue diamond would be high on the list :rolleyes:

Fedaykin- I DEFINITELY want to see that creation. Please post it. A 1.64ct Fancy Blue is rare indeed.

I think photos/pictures show people visual examples. I like them. I've been a writer 20 years and when I work with art directors on an ad or something else, they are always surprised that I want more photos with captions, more subheads and less in the way of a "sea of type". What better way to show color and shape and beauty than a photo?

So Fedaykin, you MUST show us your blue diamond ring.

I still can't upload/attach a photo. I am simply posting ones that are already on the internet.

I still can't upload/attach a photo. I am simply posting ones that are already on the internet.

We need to get this fixed. Can you tell me exactly how you're going about attaching, and what error message(s) you're receiving?

As you can see below, it appears to work for me (I uploaded the site logo).

post-2-1168190202.gif

RE: the gallery

It can serve as a repository for various dealer advertisements, which is fine, but this can become a problem as things get sold and the gallery becomes a collection of things that formerly were available but no longer are, which could be frustrating to shoppers.

I posted a comment on one of Webgal's photos and it said it won't appear without authorization. This will prevent any forum like discussion of the gallery, which may be the point but if so, I would simply disable the comment feature.

I looked through all the options and can't find any option to enable comments without moderation, or to disable them altogether. I'll send a note to the vendor of the software.

As for the function of the gallery, I don't envision anything specific. I'm just responding to several suggestions to make the site more photo-friendly, and letting users take it from there.

Okay, I'm going to try it here.

What I've been getting is a little swirly thing that keeps going round and round and basically is stuck there on autopilot.

I still can't attach so I'll put the photo here. It goes on and gets stuck. I've tried really little files, too. I use Mozilla. I'll try with ie.

works in opera and ie. But not mozilla and maybe not firefox since Mozilla and firefox are same development. Weird. That is not the case when I post on other places so I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be the case here.

here endeth the experimentation

Ah, that must be the issue. By Mozilla, I assume you mean Netscape. I stopped using Netscape years ago; now I use Firefox almost exclusively and I love it (and yes I know that Firefox is Mozilla, minus all the Netscape bugs!). I highly recommend it!

Yeah, I'm loving it, too. Firefox. The reason I've kept Mozilla is that it presents a page like a Mac would so I can work out Mac issues with it. If a friend has an issue with their Mac, it almost certainly is happening when I use Mozilla.

So anyone out there with a Mac? See if you can attach a picture if you have one and let us know. We'll send you....well, we'll send you...nothing actually. But we'll offer our gratitude.

I wish I did use a Mac. But you can't see anything in IE which almost the entire planet uses (except us mavericks, Hermann). One of the Firefox developments just did not jive with my computer but this dev is hopping like a freaking kangaroo. I love it already.

By the way, how are you keeping spam out? Since I've added a classified section on something else, I was wondering how you managed this block. If it's too boring for the rest of the group, just e-mail me your spam bounce secret recipe if, in fact, you have one.

It's no secret. I manage spam in the following ways:

1. Requiring a "CAPTCHA" any time anyone tries to register. a CAPTCHA is that funny-looking image with numbers & letters that are shaped funny. The image is designed to make it easy for humans to figure out, but computers cannot, so it prevents automated registrations. This is a standard feature of the new version of this software.

2. Requiring all registered users to verify their email address. We send them a single email with a validation link.

3. Immediately deleting any reported posts that turn out to be spam, and then blocking out the IP address and/or email address (and sometimes entire domain name) of the offender. Although with #1 and #2 above, this last step happens very rarely now.