Just Bought This Diamond, Critique It Please

taylor910

Hey guys, I just purchased this diamond and now I'm reading more and getting a little nervous about the polish, symmetry, and flourescence. Please let me know if I should be worried about this, it cost me a pretty penny; thanks a lot.

Grading Lab: GIA Measurement: 5.90 - 5.72 x 4.21 Carat weight: 1.14 Cut*: Signature Ideal Color: D Clarity: VVS2 L/W Ratio: 1.03 Depth%: 73.6% Table%: 71% Symmetry: Good Polish: Very Good Girdle: Thin to Thick Culet: None Fluorescence: Faint

See an appraiser. Critiquing a stone sight unseen based on a few measurements is a questionable activity anyway. Doing this AFTER you buy it is self destructive. If you’re trying to decide if you got what you expected or if there are any details that should be of concern, show it to a pro who can actually examine the piece.

Neil

The fluorescence is nothing to worry about. Polish and symmetry may be non-issues as well; it's harder to acquire VG/EX symmetry when cutting fancy shapes and VG polish is not visibly different than EX in a GIA graded diamond.

What you should worry about is the most important element; its performance particulars. Measurements alone are simply not enough. If you have seen no photos and no laboratory or seller evaluation of light performance you should take the diamond to a qualified independent appraiser if you really want to know how it measures up with others in its class and category.

Something I would ask; did you select VVS clarity for personal reasons, or because you believe moving to VS would make a significant visible difference? Same question for D color (though I know some people value that elite 'D pedigree'). :)

On the GIA appraisal sheet the comments box said, "No visible clouds."

I chose the diamond because the site gave me a $500 credit due to not being able to ship it out for christmas. I figured with the extra money I would bump up the clarity and color as opposed to just getting a larger carat size.

I understand I personally would never be able to tell a difference between D, E, and F, or VVS and VS, but it still holds some significance. I felt that taking a step up in these categories would mean the diamond would be more "quality," or "nicer." Thanks denver and John, I appreciate it.

No problem with that. Such preferences are personal decisions with no wrong choices. I'll confess a personal preference for strict craftsmanship like EX or Ideal finish which may or may not make a visible difference. I wanted to be sure you made those color and clarity decisions knowing they were not requirements for a colorless or clean diamond. No visible clouds is a positive comment and is in-line with that high level of clarity.

I still highly recommend that you invest a bit more to have it seen by a credentialed independent appraiser.

The diamond is a princess cut. The $500 was an upgrade credit, so it wasn't like they chose a diamond for me and told me I would get $500 off the purchase.

Also, I have not seen any photos of the diamond, which I understand is downright idiotic; but I did see the GIA report if that counts for anything.

The site is diamondsonweb.com, they seemed to have very solid reviews from what I was able to find.

It may be just fine, but the reason you're sensing caution is because some sellers go only from lists of data when selling the diamond. They may never see it before its sent to you. In fact, if they are using the 'virtual supplier list' they may not even have the diamond on their property. This may or may not be the case here; did you speak with an expert who had the diamond in-hand while interacting?

For example: Going simply by the numbers the princess you ordered could be configured like any of the three below. All are 1.14 ct and measure 5.90x5.72x4.21, with a 71 table, m girdle (yours runs thin to thick) and no culet. The differences in the angles of crown and pavilion make tremendous differences in their overall configurations. It will impact their performance qualities. Further, these examples have 3-chevron pavilion faceting. Princess shapes come in 2-5 chevron configurations, so there is even more variability.

If these graphics were representative I'd expect the configuration on the left to have better performance than the others. Of course, seeing proof of light performance and photos from the seller would still be critical, since numbers alone can't tell the story - especially in shapes other than round. This is why I'll sound like a broken record (or should we say 'stuck CD' nowdays) :) and again recommend you have an independent professional look at it to give you an evaluation - and a valuation.

post-111809-1166804278_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone!

AS John's said- graphs like the ones he's posted tell you nothing if you can't see the diamond.

I disagree that buying a diamond which requires you to have a trained professional assess the diamond is a good idea. You'll need to involve a third party, a lot of effort and expense.

I strongly suggest buying a diamond from someone who you trust, that has the diamond in hand.

When I'm looking considering diamonds for stock purchases, I look thru boxes like this one.

Each diamond is in a paper, with all the stats from the GIA report.

It's not until I open the paper and actually look at the diamond that I know if we'll buy it.

Diamonds with identical GIA grades- even measurements- can look totally different. The diamond could have many different type of facet patterns for example- this is not indicated on a GIA report. Some attractive, some not.

By calling this diamond "Signature Ideal" the seller has tipped their hand.

They're willing to put "Cut labels" on diamonds they've never even seen. This makes the distinction of "Signature Ideal" valuable for only one thing: It shows the seller is willing to make claims based on no hard evidence. Which makes the claims meaningless.

post-110210-1166806030_thumb.jpg