Size Vs Quality

iSmurf

Hi All,

I am trying to decide which loose diamond to buy for an engagement ring. I've looked around and found that these two at Lugaro Jewelers that i am considering:

0.75 ctw $3900 CDN

Round Brillant

SI 1 - clarity

G - color

Very Good - cut

0.50 ctw $3000 CDN

Round Brillant

VVSI 1 - clarity

E - color

Very Good - cut

I will have it mounted on 14K white gold ring with 4 claws set low. They both look really nice and shines quite nice. I can't really tell the difference besides size when comparing the two. The salesman said he can tell there is a slight difference in color.

I am tempted to go with the smaller but higher quality diamond but the bigger diamond looks just as nice. I will be paying almost $1000 for an increase of 0.25 ctw if i choose the bigger diamond. Over time will the diamond loose it's sparkle/color ? Since the smaller diamond has higher specs/quality does it really make a difference since both diamonds look similar to the naked eye.. ??

Thanks in advance.

So long as you don't go lower than SI2 Clarity or maybe K Color, the only thing she'll notice is Size.

Go with Size.

I just bought my ring this week, an I Color, VS2 Clarity. I was worried about the color of the stone being noticeable. Its not, not in the slightest, It looks PERFECTLY white, in its platinum setting even.

As important as the weight is the MM measurements, a better cut stone will be bigger, so learn How big ( wide ) a well cut RB stone is... 2 stones of the same carat weight will often be noticeably different in size, because a deeper cut or overly large girdle will hide the carat weight.

She'll never notice the difference between a G SI1 , and a D VVS1 . But the cut determines the Brilliance AND size of the stone, Pay attention to Cut, more than anything, it's the C which most people overlook.

• 2 weeks later...
So long as you don't go lower than SI2 Clarity or maybe K Color, the only thing she'll notice is Size.

She'll never notice the difference between a G SI1 , and a D VVS1 . But the cut determines the Brilliance AND size of the stone, Pay attention to Cut, more than anything, it's the C which most people overlook.

Even I can't tell the difference most of the time between a G and a D. If they are upside down on a piece of paper next to each other, maybe. But face up side by side would even be tough. It is that subtle. However, flourescence can effect this as well as cut and you can't evaluate either of these things without seeing the diamonds. A diamond can look more tinted and certainly less brilliant.

A K color diamond for a round is a great buy. Again, only if it's well cut. And that you can't tell by looking at paper. I tried to find ones that showed a progression here.

An H color round (1.01ct)

101i.JPG

Here is a K color oval. (2.5ct)

250a.JPG

This is an L color. you can see a tint with this one but the sparkle is great. So as you can see a great cut can overcome a low color.

101lvsg.JPG

This oval happens to be a very white looking L for an L.

152lvs1e.JPG

As for clarity, an SI2 or I1 can be a great find but that, too, should be hand picked to weed out the dogs.

Hi,

I went with a D VVS1 excellent cut, jeweler said he thought it was a IF rather than a D.

The size is .39 as my wife is a small woman it suits her.

The sparkle is amazing, the jeweler compaired it to an E and F similar size and cut, in my opinion you can realy tell the difference.

Different women like different things. I'm in the same parking lot as blameitonblue. I want some size. But while I'm pretty slight in build, I'm just under 6ft so I need some size in my diamonds. I'm also over 25 so diamond shrinkage has set in and I keep needing the next size up.

But if I went for a fancy pink diamond (I'd give my left eyebrow for one) I'd be happy with a small size. You don't need it to be big if it's got that much color.

My suggestion would be that if you are not going to involve your intended, do make sure you buy from a dealer with both a refund policy and A TRADE UP POLICY.

There's a certain icy look to D colors that is pretty nifty and there's something to be said for being to say that it's the 'best'. That said, my wife wears a J/SI2 and it's worked just fine for 17 years.

There is no visible difference between a VVS1 and an SI1 if the stones have been correctly graded although this also comes with a certain amount of bragging rights.

Ask the jeweler what they mean by 'very good' cutting. Not every grader uses this term in the same way and this has a bigger effect on the look of the stone than either the clarity or the color within the ranges that you are considering.

Neil

I think that many people want the D and/or the IF. It is an emotional purchase and it needs to satisfy an emotional need. I know David, our owner, is a sucker for an Internally Flawless Vivid Yellow Diamond. And vivid yellow can hide a lot of flaws because of the deep color. Often times it's not easy for me to tell with the naked eye between an I1 vivid yellow and an IF vivid yellow in a ring. But like I said, a diamond evokes an emotion, it's to be enjoyed. So you need to satisfy what you are looking for in such a purchase.