It's Getting To Be That Time... Information Request, Please?

Sir Aurik

My girlfriend and are are getting to the point where I'm starting to seriously think about asking her to marry me. We've now been together for almost 2 years, and I've started the ring fund. I'm still a few months out from actually buying the ring, but I've got a few ideas on what I'd like to do, and would like to know what to consider when I'm actually buying the diamond. I'm familiar with the 4C's, but I'd like a bit more of an informed opinion

For starters, I'm leaning heavily towards an Asscher cut, because it's different, classy, and elegant. I've seen photos of extremely well-cut Asscher diamonds, and they just sucked me in. I guess that's what I'm looking most for, a diamond that will mesmerize her everytime she looks at it. I could say that I'm looking for a diamond of X color, cut, and clarity, but really the WOW factor is most important, since SHE doesn't know the difference between, say a G and I color or VS1 versus IF clarity.

Now the ring I'm looking at (well, I have a local jeweler who will be making the ring for me, I've found some excellent designs on the 'net) will be of platinum, and the stone itself will be in a bezel setting. She has a fear of prong settings, well, not a FEAR, but she has seen the effects of BAD prong settings, so I'm going with a bezel setting. (In fact, here's a picture of the ring I'm thinking of). Again, it might not be exactly the same ring, but the setting will be something along those lines. I don't know whether a platinum bezel setting will accent certain flaws or features of a diamond, but I want to make sure I get the best diamond I can for this ring. The major differences of course, will be an Asscher diamond as the center stone, and I'll be finding two nice blue sapphires (preferably a nontraditional shape, like in the ring) for sidestones.

As far as price range, I'm looking at a total of about $10k. I'm imagining that of that, about $7k will be in the diamond, and I'm giving thought to using either Union diamonds, or Blue Nile as my source, since they both have excellent selections and prices.

What I'd like to know is, given the parameters I've posted, how do I find an appropriate diamond for this ring when the time comes? I want a nice-sized diamond (around 1ct, but that's not a hard and fast number) but most importantly a diamond with serious WOW factor. I'm familiar with the textbook 4C's and can intelligently look at a GIA report, but some guidance as to which parameters will be more important in my case, and why.

Thank you for the help.

ring8.gif

Good morning Sir Aurik,

The 4 C’s is a catchall phrase that includes an awful lot of material. The big difference that makes the wow factor you describe is in the cutting. Learning to read a grading report is certainly helpful for other reasons but the information you’re looking for isn’t there. The first thing to shop for is a dealer, not a diamond. Picking a dealer who thinks the same way you do, who is familiar with Asscher cuts and who is in a position to actually look at and inspect the stones before selling them to you will go a long way to getting where you want to end up. What you are looking for is not a commodity but what you end up with might be if you aren't careful about this first step.

Neil

You need pictures.

Slight variations in facet size and alignment in the windmill facets at the diagnol Pavillion positions as well as the step facets in the Crown have a great impact on the visual face-up look of the stone. No way you can discern this from the lab reports.

Ask BN and Union if they can photograph your selections and e-mail the pics to you.

Good Luck.