The Four C's - Which To Weight More Than The Other

ring16

I've been to a few stores and seen a lot of diamonds, but I can't figure out the right combination to purchase:

1) 2.17ct SI-2 D color: cut: Ideal; polish and symmetry are Excellent

2) 1.91ct SI-1 E color: cut: Ideal; polish and symmetry are Excellent

3) 2.04ct VS-1 I color: cut: Ideal; polish and symmetry are Excellent

4) 2.00ct VS-2 G color: cut VG; Polish and Symmetry are Excellent

5) 1.72ct VVS-2 E color; cut Ideal; Polish and Symmetry are Excellent

6) 1.70ct VVS-1 H color; cut Ideal; Polish and Symmetry are Excellent

All of these diamonds are in my price range but I have no clue which one to purchase. They all look the same to me as I have no eye for a diamond. I like number 5 the most because I get a top color, clarity and cut...but I sacrafice size, I guess where do you draw the line when size starts to decrease the value and look of the gem?

Thanks in advance for you input

There’s not enough information here to tell you much. Allow me to ask you a few questions:

Who called them ‘ideal’ cuts and what did they mean by that?

Who did the rest of the grading? GIA? AGS? The dealer? Someone else?

That’s a huge range on everything. You’ve got weights from 1.70 -2.17, clarity from SI2 to VVS1 and colors from D-I. Try narrowing things down a bit. Take for example clarity. A 2 carat SI2 probably has eye visible inclusions but not so severe that they will be distracting in a normal viewing environment. Is this acceptable? VVS1, on the other hand, will be visibly identical to a VS2 but will cost a considerable premium because it’s more ‘perfect’. Does this interest you? The same questions come with color. D’s have an icy look to then that’s pretty popular and commands a healthy premium. I’s, on the other hand, have a warmer look to them and trade for quite a bit less money. You mentioned that you’ve looked at a lot of stones, where would you like to end up?

There’s a considerable price jump that happens at 2.00cts. Is it important to you to be over that mark?

I’m guessing by the wide range of descriptions that the driving factor here is the budget and that you’re trying to get the best stone for a particular price point. May I ask what your budget is?

Neil

There’s not enough information here to tell you much. Allow me to ask you a few questions:

Who called them ‘ideal’ cuts and what did they mean by that?

Who did the rest of the grading? GIA? AGS? The dealer? Someone else?

That’s a huge range on everything. You’ve got weights from 1.70 -2.17, clarity from SI2 to VVS1 and colors from D-I. Try narrowing things down a bit. Take for example clarity. A 2 carat SI2 probably has eye visible inclusions but not so severe that they will be distracting in a normal viewing environment. Is this acceptable? VVS1, on the other hand, will be visibly identical to a VS2 but will cost a considerable premium because it’s more ‘perfect’. Does this interest you? The same questions come with color. D’s have an icy look to then that’s pretty popular and commands a healthy premium. I’s, on the other hand, have a warmer look to them and trade for quite a bit less money. You mentioned that you’ve looked at a lot of stones, where would you like to end up?

There’s a considerable price jump that happens at 2.00cts. Is it important to you to be over that mark?

I’m guessing by the wide range of descriptions that the driving factor here is the budget and that you’re trying to get the best stone for a particular price point. May I ask what your budget is?

Neil

Thanks a lot for you input. I got my specs. from GIA on bluenile.com so I assume they are correct. Then I went to a couple stores and viewed each specs. different classes, granted the stores could've mislabeled the stones but I went to reputable stores. Then the examples I stated above were quotes from bluenile.com that were in my price range, 15k-23k.

Now I need to decided on the details, like which combination is the best. So I would like to know which spec. I shou'd go for, VVS through SI or D through I color...I know that I like the ideal cut, excellent polish and symmetry so what specs. would make-up the best diamond?

HI Ring,

Two diamonds of the same color, clarity- even measuring the same - can look different- one can be much nicer than the next.

GIA's new "Cut Grade" is a far better barometer then Polish and Symmetry.

Still the range of diamonds which qualify for "EX" cut grade encompasses different looks in diamonds.

Since you're not a committed diamond guy, maybe you should consider some lower colors.

You can buy a really nice 4 carat diamond in an L color for the same money.

A lot of people love K-L colors and find lower colors to be a great way to maximaize the look.

GIA doesn’t use the word ‘ideal’ on any of their reports. That’s why I asked. Blue Nile, and many others tend to use the term interchangeably with both GIA’s ‘excellent’ grade and with AGS’s ‘0’ grade. Others will use it even less precisely and it’s important to know what a dealer means when they use it because they are definitely not all the same. I agree with David that for GIA graded round brilliant stones, the cut grade is a much more useful parameter than either polish or symmetry

‘Best’ is not an easy concept to pin down. The typical American, if there even is such a thing, seems to start at SI1/H. Go down from that on either or both parameters and the prices drop fairly quickly and go up from that and you’ll see a steady and fairly steep climb. You’re at a difficult price point. Come in under the 2 carat range, say 1.80-1.90 and you’ll be near the bottom of your range with this combination. Come just over and you’ll be near the top. In between is nearly impossible to find because of the economics of the cutting business.

Stepping it up to a G/VS2 will probably rule out everything over 2.00 unless you compromise on cut, something you say you don’t want to do (I agree with you by the way) or raise your budget so you really need to decide on your priorities and what you’re to compromise on – weight, clarity/color, or price.

It would benefit you to find a jeweler who you are inclined to trust and get some expert advice. The right dealer really is pretty helpful in your situation. There’s a discussion in the FAQ here about shopping for a dealer that may be helpful.

Neil

Ps. There’s WAY more to cut than is inculcated in the words ‘ideal’ and ‘excellent’. As David points out, they are not all the same.