I Think I Will Choose This Diamond, Please Comment

Ian

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for all the posts the lasts few days but I'm trying to make a good choice rather than just picking anything. Please tell me if anything sticks out to you as bad or a warning, thank you.

0.28 carats (Is that really small or can it be ok?)

Cut: Very good

Color: E

Clarity: VS1

I'm not sure what the girdle is but it says exteremley thin to medium. Please comment.

Depth %: 62.2%

Table %: 59%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Extremely thin to medium

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 4.19 x 4.23 x 2.62 mm

All of the grades are from GIA.

Please comment. Thank you so much.

I think you need to look at some diamonds in person to evaluate whether it's too small. If you feel it is, you can make some compromises. For instance, with a round diamond even an H will look plenty white enough. So you go for something like an H/SI1 and you can go larger. But you really do need to see some diamonds first to compare. Numbers on a piece of paper are not really going to give you a preview.

Assuming we're talking about an engagement ring, I agree with WebGal. 0.28cts is small. I'm going to presume that the reason for that is the budget, which I'm all for sticking with but I would come down in both color and clarity in order to bring up the size while staying within the budget.

If you don't mind my asking (it's just between you, me and anyone with an internet connection. I won't tell), what's your budget for the whole ring and what does this diamond cost?

Neil

my budget is a little expandable possibly. I was hoping to find something for total of $1550 about. I found the band and matching ring I want, the band has diamonds and rubies and with the ring costs like $1100 I think. That diamiond that I asked about cost $428. I really love the band/ring set on blue nile so I'm really hoping to find a diamond there VERY soon so It can be delivered before Christmas. Please tell me an ok carat size to be looking for. And what shapes are nice looking apart from round? Please help soon!:blink: Thank you so much. Give me a minimum carat size to search for please.

my budget is a little expandable possibly. I was hoping to find something for total of $1550 about. I found the band and matching ring I want, the band has diamonds and rubies and with the ring costs like $1100 I think. That diamiond that I asked about cost $428. I really love the band/ring set on blue nile so I'm really hoping to find a diamond there VERY soon so It can be delivered before Christmas. Please tell me an ok carat size to be looking for. And what shapes are nice looking apart from round? Please help soon!:blink: Thank you so much. Give me a minimum carat size to search for please.

Before Christmas, nothing like cutting it close.

what do you think of this one? http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.a...amp;filter_id=1

Before Christmas, nothing like cutting it close.

I'm a bit of a cut snob. I think that's where you get the most bang for your buck. I recommend against buying a 'good' cut sight unseen. Especially when you're in a circumstance where inspecting it yourself and/or showing it to a pro with the possibility or returning it if it doesn't measure up isn't a credible option. I would stick with GIA-excellent and compromise on color to keep the price down if it were me.

Neil

A Symmetry of Good and a Clarity of SI2 can be a beautiful diamond if handpicked. But I agree with Neil that sight unseen, you're taking a risk. Cut is THE most important aspect of a diamond's sparkle factor. I've seen fabulous I1 diamonds. I would not have believed I could ever even LIKE an I1 diamond prior to working at Diamonds by Lauren. But a good cut can really overcome low clarity and color and look stunning. That's why if you're handpicking, you can get a larger stone with lower clarity and color because you're having someone that knows diamonds choosing the best SI2 he/she can find.

I think perhaps that setting is going to completely overwhelm a diamond under 1 carat. Not to burst your bubble but the ruby and white diamond combo in addition to a band with that combo is quite a contrast and designwise a center stone needs to be a larger to carry a setting that dramatic. I don't know the width of the one band but it's going to be a high percentage of the overall diameter of a .28 or a .48ct diamond. I think it will be completely lost. It's just not going to be the centerpiece you'd want the center to be.

What if you went with a plainer solitaire setting now, a little larger center which puts your money into the diamond, and then did a remount in the new setting on anniversary one? Just a thought. And perhaps aim for a New Year's proposal? I think rushing this might not be a good idea given how complicated it is to choose a diamond ring.

Just some things to think about as if you did not already have lots to think about.

Oh, so you were referring to the cut grade and not the symmetry in your post. Thanks for letting me know. (I did not look at that link) I have seen the new cut grade reports. I like the idea but I'm not sure I'm sold on it, though. They seem inconsistent but I don't know if it's been around long enough for me to come to that conclusion.

I think if I was trying to buy sight unseen, I'd want every number to be perfect, except color since I don't place as high a value as the trade does on a super white diamond. Why is that more beautiful? Because someone says so? But I tend to like things that are out of the ordinary-- or at least not mainstream.

Congratulations! What did you end up choosing? Can you post us pictures?

Neil

Do pictures over the net do any justice at all? If so at what angles and what kind of light would be needed???

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I asked because I (and other readers) want to see what you ended up with. It's a nice way to wrap up a conversation like this and it's part of what makes this whole forum thing fun. I find the best angle is laying flat on a light colored surface like a sheet of paper with lots of light. Angle it so that you're viewing angle is slightly away from directly down the center line of the stone although this will depend on the design of the mounting. It's amazing how good you can do with a standard digital camera if you practice a little bit and it's good fun to have a photo that you can send to your friends that are too far away to see it in person.

MeMyselfandI,

Your pics aren't too bad. If your camera has a macro mode, use it. You'll have better luck if you aren't holding the ring in your hand. If you can lock the focus on something, try using the tip of the prongs. The whole 'bundle of mirrors' thing confuses the autofocus on lots of cameras but you can sometimes focus on a prong, lock it and then move it to where your image is centered the way you like.

Neil