Any advice on a buying consultant?

sosparkly

Hi,

I'm scouring the internet to see if I can find any more information about this company I found that SOUNDS like a really great idea...

Has anyone ever heard of www.yourdiamondguy.com Your Diamond Guy?

They claim they can call my salesperson and use their expertise to haggle for a better price - in exchange for a cut of the savings. I think I want to try it. It looks safe since they are not asking for a credit card or any $ up front and the site says some things that seem to be very true. But I'd feel SO much better if I could find someone else who has used them. I think they may be fairly new.

So... has anyone ever used them - or something like this? What does everyone think?

Thanks so much!

How much is your budget for your diamond?? Personally I find it hard to believe that he can really save you much money.. Especially if you are working with an internet vendor.. And even many brick and mortar stores are cutting their margins so thin that there really isn't a "lot" of negotiating room..

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the way he promotes his business by making it sound like salespeople are crooks sort of turns me off as well :)

How much is your budget for your diamond?? Personally I find it hard to believe that he can really save you much money.. Especially if you are working with an internet vendor.. And even many brick and mortar stores are cutting their margins so thin that there really isn't a "lot" of negotiating room..

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the way he promotes his business by making it sound like salespeople are crooks sort of turns me off as well :)

I can't agree more with you, it is almost impossible to get a better price on online sale, we don't have a great markup to get beat up on. Another thing there are allot of site that write clearly that there prices are final.

Heh heh - funny you should ask...my budget WAS $6000... but right now I'm looking at 1.3 - 1.4 E-F Princess cuts (mostly VS1's) in the $8000+ range. I'm shopping at brick & mortar stores and using the data from this site as ammo to get them down on the price. I just can't get over the mental hurdle of buying a diamond having never seen it and I don't have the time to risk having to return a diamond (I'm proposing before Xmas and wait WAY too long). And I'm actually getting them pretty close to the online prices.

I hear what you're saying about the "salespeople as crooks" attitude - kind of an unfair generalization. I look at it a little differently and I just view it all as just part of "the game". :) But also in fairness, his description of a sample sale is almost exactly what I went through at a couple of stores (and also how my budget got moved from $6K to $8K...lol)

So... I guess I'm going to try it. I'm kind of at the "what have I got to lose?" mindset. I'll keep you posted.

Exactly.. Most people are better negotiators than they give themselves credit for.. You are learning a lot and that makes it easier for you talk intelligently about the diamonds you are looking at which is great..

As for the other site.. Something just doesn't strike me as totally honest about it.. Maybe it's the way he presents the "dirty tricks".. Seems he used them himself for quite some time seperating people from their money and now he has somehow "seen the light" and changed his ways to use that information to help "you".. The whole site reaks of saleshole promoting FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) to make money off of you.. :) It really reminds me of someone else tha tused to post here trying the same thing only with a different 'trick'..

There are a great many wonderful salespeople that have never resorted to the 'dirty tricks' he claims..

I agree with Steve- there's some generalizations that are uncalled for.

Something else: It's very important to purchase something as expensive, and important as a diamond from someone trustworthy. If you've developed a good relationship with such a seller, having a thrid party intervene could damage a relationship that could prove to be valuable.

Lastly- I'd definately try your best at negotiating in a store- OR online.

Even if you're not succesful, it wil hglp you gauge the quality of the sellers.

You should also inquire about "cash" discounts in either place.

Credit cards charge fees to the seller- which YOU might be able to recoup if you allow the seller to avoid the fee.

We offer anyone paying by wire transfer or check, a 5% discount.

That’s kind of an interesting offer. I’m hard pressed to think of anything that a ‘friend’ could say on the phone that would affect most dealers prices but I suppose it’s an interesting credibility test. I would take it one step further. If the difference is more than nominal, say $25, decline the deal in it’s entirety. If the jeweler was overcharging you in the first place and you’ve caught them lying about the ‘bottom line’, what makes you think that the new offer is really all that much better? If you already know a reasonable offer when you see it, what do you need this guy for?

By the way, how will he know the difference between a masterpiece and a disaster without looking at it? Is he offering to visit the store with you as well?

Do some homework, learn what things cost and what you like and then do it yourself. If you’re nervous, use an independent appraiser who is trained and equipped and who can actually see the piece. You’ll get a better piece AND a better price.

Neil

Hi all,

Well, I talked with John at www.yourdiamondguy.com last night. He's the owner / sole employee. He actually seems like a pretty good guy. He says since he used to work in the field, a friend asked him to tag along while buying a diamond last year and he helped the friend get a good deal. That friend referred him to another 2 friends, and so on.. so he was doing this pretty frequently and decided to see if he could start a side business out of it and he's been doing it for just a little while now.

I gave him everyone's feedback that his site comes off kind of like he's got a grudge against all diamond sellers and might turn people off. He seemed pretty receptive to my input and said he'll probably look at changing the site. He especially agreed that using the term "Dirty tricks" might be over the top.

Well anyway, I gave him the specs on the one diamond that I'm leaning toward right now and we'll see how it goes. My salesperson started at $10,000 and I've used the data on this site to get it down to $8400 so I think I've done a pretty good job already.

I kept waiting for him to ask for my credit card or some other catch, but he says if he gets me a better price and I buy that diamond, he'll just invoice me so I guess I've got nothing to lose.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

$10k down to $8400 is a pretty big drop.. I don't personally know anyone that still builds that sort of margin in to their diamonds these days.. What store is this??

Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if this is just a Chicago thing? Because honesly EVERY store quoted me their initial price on diamonds like this one (1.4 C, F, VS2, Princess Cut) around $10K or greater. I heard it as high as $12,000. Of course they all backed off to the $8000 - $9000 range once I shared the data my online research (mostly this site, which rocks!). Am I just shopping in all the wrong places? I've been to Prudential, New York City jewlers, and a number of places in the Jewlers Mall - most of them have a pretty good name from what I can tell.

BTW...I hope I'm not insulting any of you guys who are in the diamond business... you guys seem like stand-up guys and I wish I'd started earlier so I could have dealt with some of you! Maybe it's just because I'm dealing with brick & mortar stores... but I have to admit I have encountered a lot of the "Tricks" almost everywhere. Like I said before, I don't hold it against anyone. I consider it part of "THE GAME" (as I refer to it). I think this website describes "The Game" best in their Negotiations Page:

"What does a new car, expensive jewelry, and a home have in common? Their respective transactions all involve a large sum of money... and in any such transaction, it is worth the seller's time to try to "tailor" each deal to maximize the amount of revenue that can be extracted out of every individual buyer. Economists call this "price discrimination" and it simply means that you will pay more if the salesperson detects:

-strong emotional affinity for the product (e.g. you're in love with a particular ring)

-desperation (e.g. you're planning to propose tomorrow but still don't have the ring)

-price insensitivity (e.g. you're rich),

-lack of education on the purchase at hand. "

I've certainly found this to be the case in my shopping. Not that anyone has been dishonest or crooked, but they certainly are playing "the game" and trying to "maximize profit". I guess I'm just hoping that using a service like this one will help me be a better player in "The Game".

Well, I'm supposed to hear back from John (aka yourdiamondguy) by this afternoon. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

As a former car salesman, the dirty tricks that he spoke about in his web site, are the exact kind of things, that I learned and did in the business. In fact, one dealer in phoenix, sent me to a car salesman school for 2 weeks, where they taught you those things. So, I believe in any business that deals with sales, some places are doing those sort of things.

Sosparkley,

I wish I'd started earlier so I could have dealt with some of you

Why do you feel belolden to stores you've walked into.

There's no reason you could not buy from anyone you want.

As far as dirty tricks......Anyone shopping for anything can run into a less than scrupulous salesperson.

Steve- I agree margins are slim on diamonds today, and the drop to $8400 from $10k shows the price was inflated to begin with.

Sad to say, many sellers DO use this type of tactic.

I awas in Las Vegas a few weeks back.

We were walking thru one of the amazing malls attached to the large hotels.

There was a jewelry store showing a few pink diamonds- I stopped to look in the window, and a slaesperson came right out and asked me if I wanted to see anything.

What the heck...might as well see what they are showing.

The diamond was pink- although it was easily I1- maybe even I2.

I gleaned that the GIA report was color only.

"How much?" I asked the pretty and pleasant saleslady.

"Well, it's maked $320,000, but I know we can do better- let me ask the manager"

He comes over and says that pink diamonds are so rare...yada yada....they can offer it to me for $110,000

If I was a serious buyer, I'd bo totally skeptical of ANYTHING they showed me after that.

Negotiating well will reward the shopper with more than just the best price- it will also show what the seller is made from.

if I can get someone to go down a large amount, I might be comfortable making a purchase- IF- I was complely familiar with what I was buying- but I would not feel comfortable counting them as a reliable source.

If they went from $10k to $8500, maybe you should offer $4k? How would you ever know if you got the right price?

Well guys... the results are in. I got a call yesterday after lunch from John at yourdiamondguy.com. I had submitted the info to his site about the diamond that I liked at $8400. He called the store and spoke to my sales person and got the price to $7950. I called my sales guy to confirm and he just joked, "Damn - you called in the big guns on me!!!" He wasn't mad (I don't think) and we agreed that it's a done deal for $7950.

I promised John I'd say something nice about him and recommend him to others. So I do have to say that I saved $300 (he got the price down $450, and he charges 1/3rd of the savings). All I had to do was fill out a web form and have a 2 minute conversation with John. I actually spent WAY more time debating about wether or not to do it than I did actually talking to him! lol. Overall, I'm really very happy. I REALLY thought I had my sales guy at his absolute bottom price on this diamond, but obvioulsy there was still a little more to go - and John somehow got it out of him.

Granted, I didn't see the $1000's of dollars in savings that he talks about on the site, but I like to take credit for doing a good job getting the price down on my own so there wasn't much savings to be had. I bet he'd make a killing off somone who didn't do their research online and was about to pay List Price!! But either way, I'd have to recommend him to anyone shopping for a diamond. There's really nothing to lose and you might save $300! And $300 buck buys several lap dances at the Bachelor Party!! lol.

So - I'm ready to go. I pick the ring up tonight and the Proposal is this weekend. Wish me luck!

Hey all - just wanted to let you know that I proposed this weekend - and she said YES (and she loved the ring!!) I posted the full story in the On One Knee forum. Check it out. It went PERFECTLY!

As to the store I bought the ring at: I'd actually rather not share that at this point. A few of the posts in this thread have kind of indicated that maybe my jeweler wasn't 100% forthcoming with me since he started me at $10,000 for my 1.36 Carat F Color VS2 Princess Cut... reduced it down to $8400 for me... then came down to $7950 when I had the consultant talk to him. I think consensus was that he must have been playing games with me a bit if he still had $450 held back when he claimed to be at his bottom. But I don't hold any hard feelings and I like him, so I don't want to bad-mouth his store publically that way. At the same time, he WAS obvisouly holding back at least $450 on me, so maybe you guys were right... and therefore I can't really recommend them. So I'll just take the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." approach. So I will just say it was one of the smaller guys near Wabash.

Thanks again, all - and go check out my proposal story. Not to sound cocky... but it was pretty darn cool!