The search is endless

pasths

Ok, last time I bug you guys. Can you confirm a good deal of $4K for a "used" estate platinum setting with 2 - .20 carat.

And the below center diamond.

EGS Report:

WEIGHT 0.70 Cts.

Shape and Cut: ROUND

Measurements: 5.76 x 5.68 x 3.41

PROPORTIONS

Total Depth: 59.6%

Table Width: 61%

Crown Height 14%

Pavilion Depth 42%

Girdle: THN, Faceted

FINISH

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Culet: None

CLARITY GRADE: SI1

COLOR GRADE: G

Fluorescence: NON

8 Hearts + 8 Arrows

The other runner in the race is for $4295 with Platinum with 2 - .25

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report

Date of Issue: September 13, 1999

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 5.67 - 5.72 x 3.61 mm

Carat Weight: 0.71

Color Grade: J

Clarity Grade: VS1

Proportions:

Depth: 63.4 %

Table: 55 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Finish:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

I'd be very careful buying the setting onc place and the diamond another. This often leads to disappointment because settings are often made to fit a certain size diamond. Matching up the proportions may seem like all you have to do is find the right carat weight, but it's more visual than that. It has more to do with proportion.

So it's difficult to comment given the fact we can't see the setting. Some basket heads can be changed in and out. Many others cannot. You could very well end up with a setting you've paid for and a diamond that doesn't look or fit right in the setting. I would buy setting and diamond in the same store and have them set it. That way someone will take responsibility for the end product. If you piece meal it out (setting one place, diamond another) you can really run into a situation where you're not happy with it in the end. Then you're stuck because no one will refund for the ring.

Ok, last time I bug you guys. Can you confirm a good deal of $4K for a "used" estate platinum setting with 2 - .20 carat.

And the below center diamond.

EGS Report:

WEIGHT 0.70 Cts.

Shape and Cut: ROUND

Measurements: 5.76 x 5.68 x 3.41

PROPORTIONS

Total Depth: 59.6%

Table Width: 61%

Crown Height 14%

Pavilion Depth 42%

Girdle: THN, Faceted

FINISH

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

CLARITY GRADE: SI1

COLOR GRADE: G

Fluorescence: NON

8 Hearts + 8 Arrows

I am sure you mean EGL not EGS right?

Yes it is EGL.

It is a 3 stone ring one setting has 1/4 carat side stones the other has .20.

I think I've decided to not do either stone, but I love the setting from the retailer and it seems like a great deal even compared to the estate setting(I decided I want nothing used it just seems wrong.) So, the setting with .20 is out and so isn't the wholesaler.

Everything that gets shown to me has either clarity really high with low color or vice versa.

So, I called the "retailer" jeweler yesterday and said I want middle of line like H color, SI1 or VS2 clarity, and then all important decent cut.

Webgal you have me a little concerned if the retailer could not get me a fair shake on a stone I was thinking about buying the diamond online and buying the setting from the retailer. Will the retailer put it together " happily"?

Webgal you have me a little concerned if the retailer could not get me a fair shake on a stone I was thinking about buying the diamond online and buying the setting from the retailer. Will the retailer put it together " happily"?

Happily? Let me ask you this. What if you owned a jewelry store and someone bought an online diamond from people who never saw the diamond but gave you a good price because they don't have to stock any inventory? I can tell you that jewelers don't make a killing off settings. Our profits on diamonds are not fat either. If you're going to go with the online store, choose a setting there. If you're going to go with the retailer, choose a setting with them.

I WOULD NOT get the diamond one place, the setting in another. I actually did this once when I was much younger and it was a disaster. I was trying to get the best price and I ended up with a ring that I had to live with and I never really liked it. The setting was crooked. The setter's response was that I did not get the diamond in the appropriate size and that the diamond had a table with a slope. The diamond dealer's response: there is no slopey table, the setter doesn't know what he's doing. So I had no guarantee, no one to take responsibility for the finshed product and I was stuck with a ring that I did not like very much.

Try the retailer. He might not be able to match the razor thin margins of the online drop shippers, but he can offer a more competitive price if you show you are educated. You simply want him to come closer but he deserves to make a profit. At least he could get you two to see in person. He/She can offer you a competitive price, you build a relationship with a local dealer.

Upgrades, refunds and possible damage? You don't have these options with a piece meal project.

I promise I'm not suggesting getting these things done in one place because jewelers make a killing doing it this way. I'm telling you because this is just a terrible way to get a diamond ring and so many possibilities that it won't turn out as planned. There is a lot more to matching diamonds and settings than it seems.

Thanks for the words of wisdom webgirl!! Here I thought I had a great plan buying diamond online and the setting in store :)

I have decided not to go with the wholesaler with the EGL certificates, so I hope to stay with the retailer who has AGS and GIA.

Just awaiting a call back for the hopefully H, Si1-VS2 in my budget.

First Question is it really bad for a J color in a 3 diamond ring with 2 - .25 diamonds on the side in a platinum setting. The side stones are H color. This diamond sparkles nicely even under the shelf in the dark!! Now the update.........

I got a call back with not so good news. They have 5 stores, but due to christmas time they have no H, SI1/VS2 type diamonds available.

He is bringing in a F, Si2 that will be over my budget at $2950. But he wants to show me the sparkle effect of the J color compared to the higher priced F.

He still thinks the J color is the one for me, FYI $2650 and already $250 over budget but I can do it.

Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report

Date of Issue: September 13, 1999

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 5.67 - 5.72 x 3.61 mm

Carat Weight: 0.71

Color Grade: J

Clarity Grade: VS1

Proportions:

Depth: 63.4 %

Table: 55 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Finish:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

All the diamond prices so far appear to be $450 more than online prices, but i seem to be getting around a $200 savings on the band. I'm willing to spend $250 more for locality and ability to fall back on a person if there is a problem.