shop for a diamond...need advices

diamondlover06

hi experts,

i'm shopping for a loose around diamond, but i want to make sure that i buy a quality one - i'd really appreciate you advices.

IS THIS ONE GOOD?

IS ITS PRICE GOOD?

Round Brilliant - $2,795

Measurements: 5.79 - 5.82 x 3.62 mm

Carat Weight: 0.74

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 62.4 %

Table: 57 %

Crown Angle: 35°

Crown Height: 15 %

Pavilion Angle: 41.6°

Pavilion Depth: 44 %

Star length: 65 %

Lower Half: 85 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Very Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: Strong Blue

Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Cloud

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN: Fluorescence: Strong Blue? IS IT BAD OR GOOD?

thank you

There’s a discussion of fluorescence in the FAQ’s. Strong fluoro has the possibility of being a problem but usually it’s a non-issue. It does tend to drive the prices down because it’s perceived to be a problem for customers who are buying sight unseen. For buyers this is a good thing. Have you seen the stone? Do you have the opportunity to see it before you commit to the deal?

There’s a database associated with this site that you can use to compare pricing. The admin is in the middle of an upgrade so things are moving around a bit but start at the home page www.diamond.info and look for ‘online shopping’ or something to that effect. This will give you a decent idea what a comparable item will cost, at least at the dealers who advertise here.

Neil

i went through the prices comparison, and it makes me wondering if it's ok to buy diamond online?

as i noticed that Neil, you always ask people who posted their questions whether they have seen the diamond or not....so will you recommend that we should buy the diamonds at the store where we can see the diamonds before buying them?

I think you could go to a store, yes. I also think you can buy from someone with a photo. Usually, if someone has several photos of a diamond, that means they purchased it for their inventory. That means they handpicked it and thought it was a beautiful cut. It also means that if you don't see it listed on their site, they can handpick a diamond for you. Many times the places that list tens of thousands have never seen the diamond so they cannot even tell you what it looks like. Whereas there are dealers who do have the diamond in their posession and can pull it out and look at it as you ask questions.

i went through the prices comparison, and it makes me wondering if it's ok to buy diamond online?

as i noticed that Neil, you always ask people who posted their questions whether they have seen the diamond or not....so will you recommend that we should buy the diamonds at the store where we can see the diamonds before buying them?

Diamondlover06,

I’m glad to hear you’re reading my posts. :)

I do think there is additional value in buying things from local stores and in buying things you can actually see and touch. Photographs, lab reports and flowery descriptions are not a substitute for this they are a supplement. All things being equal, buy locally and buy in person. The difficulty is that all things are rarely equal and a tradeoff is required. Are you willing to put up with the inconvenience and perceived higher risk associated with shopping long distance in exchange for better prices? This is a difficult decision that isn’t really a diamond question. It involves your risk assessment of the various problems, your time requirements, your tolerance for things like return shipping if needed or the driving required to get to the store. Not everyone evaluates these things in the same way.

I never consider a diamond deal to be done until you have personally examined the completed piece (not just the diamond) in a variety of lighting conditions and had the opportunity to consult with whoever you choose over it’s merits or demerits. Diamond shopping is a very different experience for most people and it’s surprisingly easy to skip the step of actually looking at it as a critical part the shopping process. It’s possible either way but at local stores it’s usually relatively easy to arrange and at out-of-town stores it involves a little bit of logistics. This is part of the advantage of the locals and it’s why I always ask if you’ve seen the stone yet.

I’m not nearly as fond of pictures as Webgal is although I take a lot of them. Diamond photos in particular I don’t think tell you all that much. Taking high quality photos is pretty hard and it’s certainly a handy skill for a diamond dealer to develop but does a good photo really make the diamonds better? Telling the difference between a crappy photo of a good diamond and a good photo of a crappy diamond can be surprisingly difficult. Has it been edited? Are you even sure that the photo is of the right diamond? I like the idea of a dealer who takes their business seriously enough to get good at this, I like the idea of dealers who are trying to communicate as much information as possible before anyone has to pay for shipping and I like dealers who are actually in possession of the stone when they tell you that it meets their standards, all of which are indicated by them giving you pictures, but a picture on it’s own doesn’t do much.

Neil

Since ours is a niche market, we do deal in photos and online. We do sell white/colorless but we sell more fancy colors and fancy shapes--diamonds that are not frequently stocked at the local jewelry store because they are not mainstream. And if they are, they don't really know much about the fancy colored ones.

But Neil is correct, you can't capture everything about a diamond in a photo. In our case, if someone really likes a photo, they typically love the actual diamond ring even more. Our owner has seen tens of thousands of diamonds and chooses very few of them for inventory.

So you need the combination of liking the photo and you have to have trust that the dealer knows how to hand pickem'. There is value in knowing that a dealer has handpicked it, purchased the diamond for inventory and has the diamond in his posession so you can ask about it.

I took the photo below. I took about 25 of this ring and kept the ones that looked most like it. So it is not easy.

Front_IntenseYellowDiamond2.jpg

Example of some heart shapes with a nice outline.

127b.JPG369i.JPG

As far as heart shapes go, I will tell you that it's a difficult shape to find well cut. I looked at several trays recently while in NY at the cutter's office, and thought only one of them was a good enough cut, color and shape for our inventory. So if you love this shape, go for it. They are unusual and as you can tell I prefer the unusual diamonds because I think they have lots of pizazz.

I agree with a lot of what Neil said.

All things being equal, walking into a store is most people's natural inclination.

As Neil said, all things are not equal.

The way I see it, an internet seller needs to be at least 25% lower in price than a store for a comperable item to even enter the ball game.

Webgal touched on the fact that the quality of information can be a problem- on the web, or in stores.

A lot of salespeople may be forced to answer questions without a proper knowledge base.

This forum is a great example of places consumers can get straigh info.

True too that many diamond photos are not very desciptive.

Recently there was a controversy about a seller that had over 3500 photos of diamonds.

Interesting twist, becuase the seller did not have the diamonds. The seller is one that offers diamonds from lists made avaialable by cutters.

In this case there was one B/W photo of each dimaond.

Not very desciptive- yet you could tell a lot of the fancy shaped diamonds were not of the best cut.

The presence of one photo is really only good for rejecting.

Then there's the issue Neil raised about knowing if it's even the same diamond.

I've seen a lot of sellers NOT clearly labeling representative photos as such. That's just deceptive, if you ask me.

As far as the initial question:

The price seems within reason, IF all the IFs are answered correctly

IF you're comfortable with the seller is the number one.

it seems like getting a nice cut heart diamond will be hard and expensive....:(

maybe i should just stick with the round diamonds......

question: how come i have problem with checking these diamonds with their GIA report #s at gia.edu?????

10888699, 0.77 Carat Round Diamond

15252889, 0.78 Carat Round Diamond

14859406, 0.75 Carat Round Diamond

please help....thank you

which one is better deal w/ better quality?

Price: $2,543

Loose Heart Shape 0.76 Carat F VS2 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 43437S

Carat : 0.76

Clarity : VS2

Color : F

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.5 x 6.37 x 3.7

Depth : 58.1

Table : 57%

Polish : Very good

Symmetry : Good

Fluorescence : None

OR

Price: $2,123

Loose Heart Shape 0.71 Carat G VS2 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 44660U

Carat : 0.71

Clarity : VS2

Color : G

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.87 x 6.54 x 3.17

Depth : 48.5

Table : 56%

Polish : Good

thank you

Hi DL06!

IN fact, choosing a heart shape without any photos is complelely blind.

I mean, even rounds need to be seen- but a heart shape can take som many different outlines- som are not particularly attractive.

A heart shape of 3/4 carats , if well cut, will be large enough to show the shape.

the prices listed are actually too low- which rasies some questions.

david, does it mean that i better off not buying a heart diamond online, and buying a round diamond will be a a little bit better?

actually, i found those prices for the heart diamonds on two websites. So i thought they should be ok.

question: can i get a quality .70 diamond with of budget is $2500(i prefer quality over size)?

We sell quite a few heart shapes from our site - but instead of a simple list, we have a lot of photos of each diamond.

I'd be wary when a seller ( online or in a store) is so much below other quality sellers.

Yes, you can buy a lovely 3/4 carat heart shape for $2500- but it won't be an F/VS1

bear with me if i ask too many questions :(

i always like the heart diamond, but thought tHat they are rare = expensive. then i found some websites that offering some good deals on the heart diamonds. so now i'm having hard time to decide if i should get a heart or round diamond :unsure:

what do you all think of this one (webgal: i know that you advised me that it will be a little bit harder to get a nice heart diamond online, but i really love the heart diamond, and i just cann't shop searching for a nice one - i actually never seen a heart diamond in live before)

anyway, what do you all think of these diamonds:

Price: $2,487

Loose Heart Shape 0.71 Carat F VS1 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 33198J

Clarity : VS1

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.54 x 6.18 x 3.61

Depth : 58.4

and

Price: $2,545

Loose Round 0.7 Carat D VS1 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 21780L

Carat : 0.7

Color : D

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.67 x 5.58 x 3.55

Depth : 63.1

Table : 59%

QUESTIONS: I CALL THE COMPANY AND ASK THEM TO SEND ME MORE PICTURES OF THE HEART DIAMOND, AND THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL CALL THE FACTORY AND WILL TAKE MORE PICTURES OF IT AND THEN WILL EMAIL THEM TO ME........IF THE DIAMOND IS FROM A FACTORY, THAT MEANS THAT THEY DIDN'T HANDPICK THE QUALITY DIAMONDS DIAMONDS TO SELL TO THE CUSTOMERS, RIGHT!? IF SO, IS IT GOOD TO BUY DIAMONDS FROM THEM?

I don't know. So much depends on the cleavage, the part that dips down that makes it a heart. You can't really see that on paper. And We've never chosen a heart without seeing it first. I think the heart would be nice. It's different and it suits the occasion. Contact David directly and see what he says. He picks them out regularly.

David's e-mail.

bear with me if i ask too many questions :blink:

i always like the heart diamond, but thought tHat they are rare = expensive. then i found some websites that offering some good deals on the heart diamonds. so now i'm having hard time to decide if i should get a heart or round diamond :unsure:

what do you all think of this one (webgal: i know that you advised me that it will be a little bit harder to get a nice heart diamond online, but i really love the heart diamond, and i just cann't shop searching for a nice one - i actually never seen a heart diamond in live before)

anyway, what do you all think of these diamonds:

Price: $2,487

Loose Heart Shape 0.71 Carat F VS1 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 33198J

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.54 x 6.18 x 3.61

Depth : 58.4

and

Price: $2,545

Loose Round 0.7 Carat D VS1 diamond

General Specifications

Item # : 21780L

Carat : 0.7

Color : D

GIA Specifications

Measurements : 5.67 x 5.58 x 3.55

Depth : 63.1

Table : 59%

QUESTIONS: I CALL THE COMPANY AND ASK THEM TO SEND ME MORE PICTURES OF THE HEART DIAMOND, AND THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL CALL THE FACTORY AND WILL TAKE MORE PICTURES OF IT AND THEN WILL EMAIL THEM TO ME........IF THE DIAMOND IS FROM A FACTORY, THAT MEANS THAT THEY DIDN'T HANDPICK THE QUALITY DIAMONDS DIAMONDS TO SELL TO THE CUSTOMERS, RIGHT!? IF SO, IS IT GOOD TO BUY DIAMONDS FROM THEM?

It's a big thing today- diamond sellers that have lists of diamonds they've never seen, and they post them on the internet.

The person listing it online has never even seen the diamond!

They might not even be a diamond tradesperson.

A lot of folks do buy from companies litke this- but with a heart shape, it's quite a bit more difficult to judge.

Another question: The price are extremely low.

This raises questions: someone selling ...too low could be a big sign of trouble.

There's a lver of pricing you'd expect to find in a fine retail jeweler.

The level you'd expect to find on the internet is say....25% below that of a retail store.

The prices you've been quoted are below what wholesale dealers pay for well cut diamonds

If a diamond is badly cut, it's worth a lot less.....