Diamonique

JC2

Diamonique is a brand name for Cubic Zirconia. Yes, it’s pretty stuff. I believe this particular brand is only available from the TV shopping people but most jewelers and even mass merchandisers like Walmart and Target stock it so you can have a look and see what you think. CZ isn’t as durable as diamond and if you wear the piece daily you will find that the stone will need to be replaced every few years but it’s inexpensive and an entirely reasonable substitute for diamonds.

Neil

How about a sapphire?. You could get a royal blue sapphire center with baguette diamond side stones. Baguettes give you the diamond sparkle but don't weigh as much. In white gold a baguette setting is $700 including the two baguettes. There are some gorgeous sapphires available for under $1k that are 2cts (7mm).

Diamonique is a brand name for Cubic Zirconia. Yes, it’s pretty stuff. I believe this particular brand is only available from the TV shopping people but most jewelers and even mass merchandisers like Walmart and Target stock it so you can have a look and see what you think. CZ isn’t as durable as diamond and if you wear the piece daily you will find that the stone will need to be replaced every few years but it’s inexpensive and an entirely reasonable substitute for diamonds.

Neil

How about a sapphire?. You could get a royal blue sapphire center with baguette diamond side stones. Baguettes give you the diamond sparkle but don't weigh as much. In white gold a baguette setting is $700 including the two baguettes. There are some gorgeous sapphires available for under $1k that are 2cts (7mm).

I agree with WebGal here. A good quality sapphire can be had for much less than a diamond, and it makes every bit of a beautiful center stone in a ring. Sapphires mean "fidelity" in the language of gems, and if your girlfriend is open to the idea of being a little "different", a sapphire is a far more thoughtful way to present her with a beautiful ring on your budget.

I have experience in this area, and my experience is actually the cause of a new topic I will post above. When my husband and I got engaged over 8 years ago, we didn't have a lot of money, and rather than wait until we could afford a nice ring, my fiance (now husband) purchased a beautiful diamonique ring for me. It was (and still is) gorgeous, but the center stone has just taken a lot of abuse. the table of the stone is very scratched up, and from what I've been told my only option is to replace the stone. It looked good for 3-4 years, but now it's really pretty scratched up.