Do Hearts and Arrows make a difference?

JaniceAnn

I was just given an opinion from a qualified appraiser, that hearts and arrows are being used as a sales gimmick and do not make a difference in the brilliance or quality of a diamond, and that the brilliancescope is also a gimmick and means nothing. (Another diamond dealer told me the same thing when I was looking to purchase one)...Does the brilliancescope really give you accurate, valuable info?

A HOF dealer said non-HOF diamonds with H&A have "wider arrows" and that makes them different...I'd really appreciate some expert input on this topic conflicting topic...thanks!

Yes and no.

H&A certainly gets used as a sales tool and often by people who have no clue what it indicates. The catchy name certainly helps and in some markets, notably Japan, it’s basically required for dealers who expect to actually make sales. I suppose that makes it a gimmick although I wouldn’t use that term in such a disparaging light as it sounds like your appraiser did.

Hearts and Arrows is a symmetry pattern that’s deliberately done by the cutter. That is to say, it doesn’t just happen, they knew what they were doing and they worked extra to get it. For that reason alone it costs extra although there are also other factors that contribute to the premium. H&A is a good sign of a careful cutter, which is a good clue to a good stone. It doesn’t directly affect the brilliance of the stone but cutters who are going through the trouble to make the symmetry right are usually planning on selling the stone at a premium for excellent cutting and they know that they won’t be able to get it unless they include at least reasonably good optics as well. Not all good stones show h&a, and not all h&a’s are good stones (but most are). It’s also worth noting that not everyone uses this term the same way. Some dealers, labs and appraisers are incredibly picky about the standards required to qualify while others will accept anything that even comes close. HoF is far from the most compulsive about this.

Personally, I like it. If I were shopping for myself, I would buy one, and I would be an incredibly picky customer. A lot of the beauty of diamonds comes from the alternating patterns of light and dark that moves as you move the stone under the light source. That’s the ‘sparkle’ that you see. I think the arrows accentuate this. I’m a type-A compulsive symmetry junkie and I like things to be precise. I like stones that are round, not sort of round. I hate it when my car is dirty or when the lawn has weeds. Not everyone else sees the world this same way. Those aren’t weeds, that’s indigenous vegetation and I’m being environmentally irresponsible to wish them harm. Is h&a worth it? For me, yes it is. For others it may not be. Both can be right.

Neil

Here's a photo of a .55ct that was part of a pair of earrings. G/SI2 and it was rated by AGS but I don't have those triple numbers. (It's been a while)

I think it's "too lined up" for me. But then prefer the high crown and random sparkle of an old european cut more than I like the modern round brilliant cut. They do sparkle and they are well cut. Many people really love them but I don't think they are better.

55gsi2c.jpg

I'm also incredibly picky, yet I agree with whoever said that H&A patterns in round diamonds DO NOT make them more brilliant, or a better quality.

Therer are people who do love the pattern- but a lot of diamond dealers do not.

In fact, before AGS came out with an "Ideal" cut grade, most deaelrs felt that a 60% table, and 60% depther was the best.

The larger table eliminates the H&A pattern.Instread theres' flashes of brilliant light, not organised into a pattern.

Many "Ideal" cut diamonds have a depth of up to 62%- so generally, a H&A will look smealer than a really well cut 60/60.

I must admit, I felt a lot of satisfaction when, in January 2006, GIA issued a "Cut Grade" on round diamonds.

Apparently they agree that 60/60, when well cut, is equivalent to H&A "Ideal" cut diamonds.

I also agree there no meaningful info given by the BS machine.