clarity enhanced. good decision or no?

longbeach90803

i don't know much about diamonds but i'm under some time restraints to buy a ring. i've read probably close to 30 articles both in favor of enhanced diamonds and against them. i understand that only one company will certify them. i also know that typically the diamond will emit a blueish-purple shine when reflected just right. but i also learned that if you're ok with these things they are a bargain. what are your opinions on this process? of course cost will be a factor yet i'm also interested in quality as well. also, i would hate for my girlfriend to be "outed" by her friends if these diamonds are that easily recognised.

I would be really curious to see some of the articles you've read in favor of clarity enhancement. Can you give us a few links please? It's easy to find people attacking them but the defense is unusual.

There are several people who call themselves labs who will issue paperwork on them. Whether this paperwork is useful to you is an entirely different question. Neither of the major labs will do it because the standard grading scales don't apply to CE diamonds. The labs that do it have a special scale that they use for this purpose and they don't all use the same rules.

There's no realy way to tell what is a 'bargain' without better understanding both the stones in question and the deal being offered. Not all are bargains.

In most cases, it takes some fairly special lighting to detect the 'flash'. It's extremely unlikely that her friends will notice it during normal wear conditions.

Neil

I personally would not buy a CE diamond. I've only ever seen one in person, and it was pretty under the jewelry store lights, but it just isn't for me. I knew it was CE and just the thought of that made me uncomfortable. I'd stick with something graded by GIA or AGS so you can be confident in what you are purchasing.

I would not buy a CE diamond. Go with a dealer who has a trade up policy. That way you can get something now and trade up for something larger later. I will tell you that whatever your or your intended likes now, it will change in 10-15 years.

Clarity Enhanced diamonds have their place in the market just like anything else.. Primarily they let you get in to a larger stone than you normally would be able to because of the price.. There is nothing inherently wrong with them since the treatments are made known before you purchase one..

One thing to consider though is that they really have no secondary market if you try to sell it later..